Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Law Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM
burkie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Looking through the MI lemon law guidelines a motorcycle is not covered, in which case I am not sure how you proceed other than hope the dealership will get it right for you
You are right on that and the dealership has just gotten a new general manager who seems awesome.

I may have a problem as I am moving from MI to Florida in 4 weeks so there is no advantage for the MI dealer to do something right as I will never be back here to purchase another bike.

So I'm just hoping for "high integrity" all around, 'cause this has been a nightmare of problems so far. :-)

Old 07-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,031 Likes on 2,824 Posts

Originally Posted by burkie
You are right on that and the dealership has just gotten a new general manager who seems awesome.

I may have a problem as I am moving from MI to Florida in 4 weeks so there is no advantage for the MI dealer to do something right as I will never be back here to purchase another bike.

So I'm just hoping for "high integrity" all around, 'cause this has been a nightmare of problems so far. :-)

Hey burkie. When you get back to Florida look me up. I'll sell you a nice '77 Shovelhead that in the 35 years I've owned it has had less trouble than your 2015!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 06:21 PM
burkie
1st Gear

Awesome HeyMan. Thanks for the offer, however, despite all the hassles I love my Ultra Glide and my significant other rides with me and needs all the comforts that come with that bike. Soooo I'm hoping I can get something worked out that gives me a reasonably reliable ride.
[:-)}

Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Awesome HeyMan. Thanks for the offer, however, despite all the hassles I love my Ultra Glide and my significant other rides with me and needs all the comforts that come with that bike. Soooo I'm hoping I can get something worked out that gives me a reasonably reliable ride.
[:-)}
In my experience Dan_______ (89 whatever) doesn't represent the attitude of most of the members of this forum.

Sadly, I don't think you have any avenue for restitution other than using the court system. HD is not exactly in prime shape right now and your message points out why... so they are in "additional costs avoidance" mode. It will take some serious leverage to get your problems fixed to the point where you can depend upon your bike.

In my case I have kept, and intend to keep, my bike because I have worked out all the bugs from the first required maintenance onward... and my list is at least as long as yours. However, I have ridden my bike on some very long trips and I have been able to count on it once I used forums like these to find the best fixes.

I also returned my brand new boots due to a defective zipper... and have had zippers replaced on my FXRG gear, supposedly the best leathers that Harley sells. I even cornered Karen Davidson at an event and told her that HD needs to learn about zippers and what makes them work (I have read articles about the design of good and bad zippers... there really is such a thing... and she was the head of merchandizing at the time).

Having all of the work done by a dealer is a good thing in your case because you have documentation supporting what you have been dealing with. I would recommend, once they supposedly have the bike "fixed", that you do your best to get the dealer to print out your "service" history (a loose use of the term). If they refuse, see if you can bribe someone to print the history "behind the scenes". Keep all of your towing records.

C#

Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 AM
burkie
1st Gear

cwsharp- Thanks for sharing. Your feedback is useful as I have been torn about whether to fight for a replacement (where I could be in the position of starting all over again with issues) or sticking with my rig in the hopes that there just isn't much more left to break, after all my repairs.

Yah 'Dan89***' kinda blew me away. Didn't seem like a very appropriate initial message, especially since I wasn't whining but looking for feedback like you just gave as to what might be the best way to move forward on a positive note and get something accomplished.

Good forum, and helpful. Thanks all.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Just created an account here as I have owned my 2015 FLHTK Ultra Ltd Harley for almost a year now (11+ months) and only have 2800 miles on it because it has been in the shop more than I have had it. On my previous (non-Harley) bikes) I have typically ridden 25-35K miles a year and NEVER had them into the shop except for routine maintenance.

The 3rd time I rode my bike the saddle bag fell off (just got a recall notice to fix that last week).

On my 5th ride an engine computer connection failed and the bike was dead and had to be towed.

On my ~15th ride the ignition switch assemble EXPLODED with parts all over the driveway and I had to be towed.

On my 20th ride the fuel pump broke apart in the gas tank and I had to be towed.

On my 22nd ride the entire Nav/Entertainment System totally died and had to be replaced.

Then my Rider right arm rest (accessory) started spinning around in the wind and the entire assembly had to be replaced because of a bad rivet.

Bringing the bike home from wintering in Florida, the battery failed in the three day trip home, starting with a fully charged battery and the ignition key in the trunk (so the security alarm wasn't the battery drain cause as suggested by my dealer!).

Today, while driving to the dealer to talk about all these issues, the new fuel pump failed, stranding me, and the bike has now been towed to the dealer.

To say I am "upset" would be a polite way of inferring how pi**ed off I am.

I'm thinking that that is the last straw and the powers that be at HD should consider putting this bike in their "Hall of Shame" museum and allowing me to exchange it for a replacement. Otherwise I will start spreading more ill will than than they can ever afford to reasonably absorb. I have already had two people tell me they would NEVER buy a Harley after hearing what I have experienced!

What think ye?

Oh yah, this is all on top of my new Harley boots having totally bad zippers and had to be exchanged for new boots, my recall for a potentially bad clutch master cylinder, a saddle bag recall, and a dropped wrench from a mechanic that took a big chunk of paint out of my gas tank.

Am I a happy camper?

Nope !!!!
Take the loss on selling it or trade in for something that is more reliable.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Just created an account here as I have owned my 2015 FLHTK Ultra Ltd Harley for almost a year now (11+ months) and only have 2800 miles on it because it has been in the shop more than I have had it. On my previous (non-Harley) bikes) I have typically ridden 25-35K miles a year and NEVER had them into the shop except for routine maintenance.

The 3rd time I rode my bike the saddle bag fell off (just got a recall notice to fix that last week).

On my 5th ride an engine computer connection failed and the bike was dead and had to be towed.

On my ~15th ride the ignition switch assemble EXPLODED with parts all over the driveway and I had to be towed.

On my 20th ride the fuel pump broke apart in the gas tank and I had to be towed.

On my 22nd ride the entire Nav/Entertainment System totally died and had to be replaced.

Then my Rider right arm rest (accessory) started spinning around in the wind and the entire assembly had to be replaced because of a bad rivet.

Bringing the bike home from wintering in Florida, the battery failed in the three day trip home, starting with a fully charged battery and the ignition key in the trunk (so the security alarm wasn't the battery drain cause as suggested by my dealer!).

Today, while driving to the dealer to talk about all these issues, the new fuel pump failed, stranding me, and the bike has now been towed to the dealer.

To say I am "upset" would be a polite way of inferring how pi**ed off I am.

I'm thinking that that is the last straw and the powers that be at HD should consider putting this bike in their "Hall of Shame" museum and allowing me to exchange it for a replacement. Otherwise I will start spreading more ill will than than they can ever afford to reasonably absorb. I have already had two people tell me they would NEVER buy a Harley after hearing what I have experienced!

What think ye?

Oh yah, this is all on top of my new Harley boots having totally bad zippers and had to be exchanged for new boots, my recall for a potentially bad clutch master cylinder, a saddle bag recall, and a dropped wrench from a mechanic that took a big chunk of paint out of my gas tank.

Am I a happy camper?

Nope !!!!
Thanks for posting. Maybe it will help Harley become a better company. I haven't had as many problems as you have, but with the few problems I've had (all well-known and well documented repeating problems), Harley basically told me to to go pound sand.