Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Law Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
california kidd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon Law Harley

I have several motorcycles and in 2011 purchased a 2011 Heritage Softail Classic. With 290 miles I experienced a fluid leak and took it into the deealer. They said the factory didn't set the oil plug correctly, replaced it and cleaned the underside of the bike.

At 1050 miles I took the bike in for its first service amd told a different dealer the fluid leak I had at 290 miles still exisisted. They found no leak.

At 1199 miles I took the bike in again with a fluid leak. They told me the crankcase needed replacing and Harley approved the replacement. As I write this I am awaiting my bike to be returned and apparently I should have the bike back in another week or so. (It's been 9 days so far).

I love the bike, but think the quality, compared to others I've owned just doesn't measure up. I wish Harley produced a product as good as their marketing abilities.

Has anyone experienced these problems on a bike with so few miles? I'm likely going to deal with this bike as a lemon if I have to deal with this a fourth time. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thank you.

Last edited by california kidd; 02-18-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

sorry you have such bad luck. Issues with that new of a bike are not the norm and I think the first dealer was the issue.
http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon
http://www.california-lemonlawyer.co...-lemon-lawyer/

Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Every brand has it's lemons, I know it's a pain, hopefully it's taken care of this time.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM
bulldog82098
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you buy the bike. It could have been wrecked and rebuilt. If the work wasn't done at a reputable business it wouldn't be reported on the title and Harley wouldn't aware of it.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
lorenski
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The day I drove my 2011 Super Glide home the clutch lever assembly fell off. I eventually traded up to a 12 flstn, and the thing refuses to track strait. Always turns left. They played with air pressure, rear wheel alignment and neck torque...but it still does it. Basically their policy is to shrug their shoulders and say oh well too bad for you. I asked about engine alignment, after all realignment is described in the manual, they got scared and said, that is impossible, that's a factory thing, they would't even check. I would consider it lemony, and unsafe, as I pull hard to turn right, and let go of the bars to turn left. Tiresome.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For me an oil leak is not what I would call a lemon. It happens on a production made product from time to time. I work for a new car dealer and have seen engines go bad in under 1k miles, one in less than 500 miles. So having a problem with a new bike, car truck washer t.v or whatever else you buy could happen. The problem was most likely made worse by the first dealer than a problem with the bike. I buy and ride Harleys for the reason they are well thought out and any production issue can be delt with and repaired as anything thing else caused by man. Let them fix the motor and ride the damn thing.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
flyburch
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenski
The day I drove my 2011 Super Glide home the clutch lever assembly fell off. I eventually traded up to a 12 flstn, and the thing refuses to track strait. Always turns left. They played with air pressure, rear wheel alignment and neck torque...but it still does it. Basically their policy is to shrug their shoulders and say oh well too bad for you. I asked about engine alignment, after all realignment is described in the manual, they got scared and said, that is impossible, that's a factory thing, they would't even check. I would consider it lemony, and unsafe, as I pull hard to turn right, and let go of the bars to turn left. Tiresome.
Take it to another dealer let them look at it. Come down to Gruene harley I'm sure they will take care of you. Good people there

Old 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
clemdog54
6th Gear

I have just purchased my first Harley and I did not buy the extended warranty but I might think twice know about that

Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Trouble is they overlap the first 2 years with your factory warranty, mandatory. So that is like paying for their warranty coverage...say you buy five years extended, you actually get 3 since 2 overlap with the fac. w.. I don't like being scammed...Also, the extended warranty is a third party, not HD...When it comes to extended warranties, I put the money in my bank account and save it for maintenance. If I bought all the extended warr. ever offered to me, I could have bought my rocker for cash and then some. Ask sales folks, scam...I'm self covered! LOL Oh, and if you do certain upgrades your coverage can be easily null and void, do a search on the forum. Have fun with your bike and ride safe!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
california kidd
3rd Gear
Default Leaking Harley

Okay... so here's the latest. This afternoon I got a call from the dealer and they said the motorcycle was finished. It wasn't supposed to be ready until next Tuesday or Wednesday. Cudo's to OC Harley for jumping on this. They said Harley got them the crank case quickly ($1,200) and they started working on it immediately. 9.6 hours of labor at $95 per hour and an additional $300+ in parts got this repaired. It is covered as a warranty item and it was $2,510.00. Wow!

I have to take exception with the one response I got who said it's just an oil leak and basically live with it. This is the 21st century and a motorcycle company in business for the better part of a century should be able to produce a bike that doesn't leak. At least my garage floor thinks so... as well as the motorcycles on both sides of the Harley.

I appreciate the comments on the forum, and my bike is in the garage as we speak, albeit with several pieces of paper under it to confirm the problem is fixed.

I'm giving Harley the benefit of the doubt as I still love the bike, just want something very reliable and leak free.

Kidd

Last edited by california kidd; 02-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Lemon Law Harley