Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Law Harley

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If memory serves, there were some problems reported with some bad casting on some engine cases. They were too porous and started to leak. Not sure of the years affected.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear you got your ride back. In a few days, report back here and let us know if the leaks were fixed.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a new 2009 Crossbones and the sprocket bolt backed out and messed up the fly wheel....Harley fixed it...I know your pain

Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

as i understand lemon laws, the vehicle has to be a new purchase, not used.. with 290 miles, if the bike was previously titled, lemon law would not apply to the bike. also, the dealer/manufacture has to make 3 repair attempts for the same safety related issue(this is a open page) it keeps cosmetic, fit/fitment issues out of the picture. if they can't repair the vehicle, then it gets sent to a independent arbitrator.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

A lemon is a vehicle that has gremlins... the entire unit is manufactured so out of tolerance that it will be a continual problem. In reality, this is either wrong headed delivery by the manufacturer or a unit that shouldn't have slipped through the gate but did. (Could have been put in the wrong line or it was break time when it was supposed to be tagged).

Everyone that works on vehicles for a living has probably cross threaded a drain plug, especially in aluminum. At the pace that they make the line move, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I wouldn't qualify this as a lemon, necessarily, unless it has other tolerance and quality control problems. I would file a complaint about the first two visits that you did with HD Customer service, making sure you mention the dealers involved. That way it will be recorded in your service record. Have your VIN ready when you call. They will see that you have had the replacement done and take you seriously I think.

C#

Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just google "harley leaks oil" - it is to be expected, not a "lemon" haha

Also to the extended warranty Rodzilla - when I bought mine, you get 7 total - 2 years factory + 5 years extended, not 5 total. Things could be different north of the border though.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Fuzzman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, fx is right. I got 7 years also.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM
california kidd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

I guess I probably didn't make it clear in my initial post. I bought this bike new from L.A. Harley in January 2011.

I've had it home for 24 hours now and no leak. That's a good thing.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default lemon

One thing i can tell all you guys about the lemon law. when you bring in your bike to have something fixed that is covered under the warranty make sure you get paper work before you leave the dealer. A lot of these places will say your all set and you go on your way. thing is you need the paper work to back you up on the lemon law i believe that you can go for it after the bike is in the shop three times for the same problem. My steeler has a habit of not giving paper work so make sure you request it its important should you fall into this lemon problem

Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go forth and enjoy....with a clean floor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lemon Law Harley