Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Law Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Had the same problem with my '07 RKC. With just over 5K miles, the bike started leaking between the cases. Not a BAD leak,mind you,basically just a weepage & an occasional drop on the undercarriage. Did NOT think this acceptable for the kinda cheddar they charge for these bikes, but I told the dealer that I could prolly live with it. Dealer said I shouldn't hafta deal with this & said ESP would take care of it, which they did. Completely resealed the cases. Well, 4 months & a couple hunnert miles later it is still nice & dry, & my sled is happy with all new seals & the SE comp upgrade I did.

One thing--you weren't clear where your leak was--sounded like the drainplug & if so, why did you need new cases?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
If memory serves, there were some problems reported with some bad casting on some engine cases. They were too porous and started to leak. Not sure of the years affected.
Not 100%, but I believe that was back in the shovel/early Evo days.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:44 PM
burkie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Big time lemon!

Just created an account here as I have owned my 2015 FLHTK Ultra Ltd Harley for almost a year now (11+ months) and only have 2800 miles on it because it has been in the shop more than I have had it. On my previous (non-Harley) bikes) I have typically ridden 25-35K miles a year and NEVER had them into the shop except for routine maintenance.

The 3rd time I rode my bike the saddle bag fell off (just got a recall notice to fix that last week).

On my 5th ride an engine computer connection failed and the bike was dead and had to be towed.

On my ~15th ride the ignition switch assemble EXPLODED with parts all over the driveway and I had to be towed.

On my 20th ride the fuel pump broke apart in the gas tank and I had to be towed.

On my 22nd ride the entire Nav/Entertainment System totally died and had to be replaced.

Then my Rider right arm rest (accessory) started spinning around in the wind and the entire assembly had to be replaced because of a bad rivet.

Bringing the bike home from wintering in Florida, the battery failed in the three day trip home, starting with a fully charged battery and the ignition key in the trunk (so the security alarm wasn't the battery drain cause as suggested by my dealer!).

Today, while driving to the dealer to talk about all these issues, the new fuel pump failed, stranding me, and the bike has now been towed to the dealer.

To say I am "upset" would be a polite way of inferring how pi**ed off I am.

I'm thinking that that is the last straw and the powers that be at HD should consider putting this bike in their "Hall of Shame" museum and allowing me to exchange it for a replacement. Otherwise I will start spreading more ill will than than they can ever afford to reasonably absorb. I have already had two people tell me they would NEVER buy a Harley after hearing what I have experienced!

What think ye?

Oh yah, this is all on top of my new Harley boots having totally bad zippers and had to be exchanged for new boots, my recall for a potentially bad clutch master cylinder, a saddle bag recall, and a dropped wrench from a mechanic that took a big chunk of paint out of my gas tank.

Am I a happy camper?

Nope !!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by burkie
What think ye?

Well, since you asked, here`s what I think:

You only joined the forum because you have an axe to grind.

Your first post a long winded rant.

You have no credibility here as you have not established any rapport with the members, so we don`t know you from Adam...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-28-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:58 PM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I know Florida's Lemon Law does not cover motorcycles. I believe most states are like that.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:06 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I was thinking the same thing as motorcycles are considered recreational vehicles and thereby not covered under the same laws and a car or truck

I know you can't believe all that you read on the internet but here is an interesting link and a quick browse through this link and most states explicitly exclude motorcycles, interesting considering our bikes cost as much and in many case more than cars

http://www.lemonlaw.com/state-lemon-laws/

Last edited by HardRider1; 07-28-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM
burkie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAN89FLSTC - you are right it is "long winded" but not because I like to talk but only because there are so many things that have happened that I frankly don't know how to make my post any shorter. :-)

I'm not "complaining" because, what is, it is. I'm more looking for guidance at what my position might be (in Michigan) [:-)}

Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

DAN89FLSTC - you are right it is "long winded" but not because I like to talk but only because there are so many things that have happened that I frankly don't know how to make my post any shorter. :-)

I'm not "complaining" because, what is, it is. I'm more looking for guidance at what my position might be (in Michigan) [:-)}
Get running right an sell it. Buy an old carbed Evo. Resale should be good!

Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Following this post is almost like following an accident one. VA lemon law only covers safety related problems in autos and does not apply to motorcycles.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:16 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Looking through the MI lemon law guidelines a motorcycle is not covered, in which case I am not sure how you proceed other than hope the dealership will get it right for you

Quick Reply: Lemon Law Harley