Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Fatboy Security System Installation - help

Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Loride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Fatboy Security System Installation - help

Hello, recently bought a "new to me" 2011 Fatboy Lo. I've decided to install a new OEM HD Security System (w/FOB)...plus Siren... plus Pager system. I have all of the parts in hand. I also have a service manual.

However, I am completely confused by the cryptic installation instructions... "remove the OE TSM or BCM" per service manual... then install TSSM... etc... None the the existing threads seem to help... thought it would be more of a "plug and play"...

If possible, I need some step-by-step help on how to install the system and program the FOB...

Hopefully, I'm trying to prevent installing the system to only then find that I need to take it to the dealership via trailer to have it re-installed or FOB programmed...

Thank you so much in advance!

Brett

Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The good news is that you can install it yourself. You still have to take it to the dealer and have them program the security system. The siren & pager really is plug n play, but not the actual security system. You'd have to check the manual, but I'm pretty sure it's underneath the battery box where it plugs in.

And behind the battery box is where the siren goes. You'll have to take the rear splash guard off to install the siren. You'll see a plug just doing nothing right next to a hole where a siren-sized box should go.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Loride
Intermediate

Thanks Spydr...

So if I'm able to install the security system myself (even before adding the siren, pager, etc)... can I just head to the dealership with the two FOB's and the system bar code to get them programmed/paired? Or do I need to have the bike and FOB at the dealership together to program the system? If so, I might have to get them to install the base system... to prevent me from having to trailer the bike down there.

Thanks, Brett

Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Papothethech
Stage II

Brett I have same **** going to start procedure in installing same parts you have. I also have manuals plural because HD service told me I needed the electrical manual to program key fobs. So I bought both manuals. Will let you know how it turns out if still interested.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:39 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

You can install all your new security hardware, do the password learn, and then ride it to the dealership for them to marry the FOB's to the bike.

The password learn takes 30 mins, so best to pull the fuse for the headlamp while doing this.

Or, you can install all the hardware and trailer the bike to the dealership.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rograming.html

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tssm password learn.pdf (7.6 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by 1004ron; 05-29-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:15 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought the entire system too, and regretted it...
I bought the security system first, and should have left well enough alone.
Then I decided I wanted the pager, but I had to buy the whole siren kit to get it.

That pager leaves a lot to be desired. It eats batteries, like one every day or two.
If you're headed out on any kind of trip, but one of those 10-packs to take with you.
You're gonna need 'em.
They do make a rechargeable unit, which doesn't last much longer, but then you have to carry the charger around. And if the battery on THAT goes out, it can't be replaced...

Old 05-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Good luck with the install, as pointed out from some of the previous replies the dealer will have to do the final sync.
Now with that said, five minutes and the bike would be mine. Remove the seat bolt, cut the battery cable, my bud and me with a 2X4 under the scoot into the van/trailer.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Good luck with the install, as pointed out from some of the previous replies the dealer will have to do the final sync.
Now with that said, five minutes and the bike would be mine. Remove the seat bolt, cut the battery cable, my bud and me with a 2X4 under the scoot into the van/trailer.
Cutting the battery cable or disconnecting it will sound the alarm...
The siren has its own battery for this purpose.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
Cutting the battery cable or disconnecting it will sound the alarm...
The siren has its own battery for this purpose.
lol @ pager. Dude, if someone wants the bike they will choose the time and place. Five minutes is nothing. With that said, I believe in securing my scoot. Common sense is the first security measure, the alarm is nice but it's not necessary although it is a plus.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:21 PM
FBLGODRO
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1004ron
You can install all your new security hardware, do the password learn, and then ride it to the dealership for them to marry the FOB's to the bike.

The password learn takes 30 mins, so best to pull the fuse for the headlamp while doing this.

Or, you can install all the hardware and trailer the bike to the dealership.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rograming.html
I've tried the above on my 2013, it didn't work, I do not think this procedure works on BUS bikes...I had to go to the dealer, have them install the hardware and pair the FOB to the bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Fatboy Security System Installation - help