Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting Touring Wheels to Heritage Softail . . . Can it be done without modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:36 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRAGG78@GMAIL.COM
So has there been any solution to this?
Kind of sucks when somebody takes the time to create a thread so as to find an answer but they don't spend the time to post a final resolution.
My guess is the OP either abandoned the task due to the conversion isn't an even swap or it's not worth the cost and time.

The primary reason for the swap (according to the OP) is flat repair.
I've got 33K on my Heritage and haven't had a on the road flat yet, then again I run Ride-On so perhaps I need to check my tires for nails?

Old 07-25-2018, 08:34 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

May be easier to just go with an aftermarket (non HD) wheel...

Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I too wanted tubeless wheels on my '06 Deluxe. I bought a set of "take-offs" from a forum member who changed wheels on his 2015, and was selling off the stock "Smoothie Spoke" wheels which were tubeless.

In my case it was NOT a direct swap, as the axle size as well as the hub width on the rear is different. I got 'er done though with some custom machine work and some custom bearing bushings.

So the deal is, just about anything is possible. It's just work and money. Your best bet would be to get wheels from the same year (or close to it) bike, that has the same bearing and hub widths as your bike.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:58 AM
rick601
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,953 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Aren't there ways to fit a tubeless tire to a spoked wheel- I seem to recall such a discussion on a Triumph forum.. I believe it involved a glued on inner cover that covered the inside of the wheel. Some gooped each spoke...
Heres a quick search results page- a little time tweaking the query should get you there:
there.

https://www.google.com/search?client...els+conversion

Old 07-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Yes there are Rick. I've looked into for my Triumph Bonneville, and it's also a method that some custom wheel builders use. From my research it's a hit or miss deal. A person has to be very careful in the prep and application. Most of the times, it involves using a "capillary action" sealant in each spoke hole as well as the sealant that goes over the spoke nipples in the "well" of the wheel.

To me, the "PITA" factor (pain the a$$) just wasn't worth it. I still have tubes in my Triumph tires.

But HD does make a tubeless spoked wheel. Best of both worlds for me. I just hate the look of alloy wheels on a bike. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

The following users liked this post:
rick601 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts
Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM
SCRAGG78@GMAIL.COM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it can be done. I'm now with info from another thread doing the conversion .my 07 flstc has the 25 mm getting and 3/4 rear axles. The front is now pretty easy being that the touring wheel I'm using has the same from axle fitted bearings. Then it's just a Matter of buying the proper spacers to center the front wheel and machining down the wheel where the rotor mounts to the wheel, the brake mounts to the fork or vise versa on the brake mounts to put the caliper center over the rotor Read to the bottom of the thread. Way too easy
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/560592-got-my-new-airstrike-wheel-on-3.html

Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm considering going tubeless on my new Heritage 114. a youtube video by CyclePump(Bestrest) looks like a winner. Outex also makes a turnkey product for the same solution. at the end of the youtube video is a list of the parts required. they are available on Amazon. the job looks easy to me. The guy basically covers the spoke ends with silicone, and then uses a strong marine tape to seal and make the rim airtight. I will inform when and if I choose to go that way. Harley does have a rear rim that will work, albeit with a kit for bearings and axle. about $900 total for parts, then dealer labor prolly $200 or so. I haven't decided what to do. I may just accept I have to get a tow in case of flat.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:02 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,612 Likes on 3,434 Posts

You could put monster truck wheels and tires on it if you want to badly enough. It’s all a matter of how much time, effort and 💰 you’re willing to spend.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Scott MacDonald
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rim swap

]I have done this mod. Front and rear from a 2005 HD electraglide to a 2004 fatboy. Both rims are the same diameter the rear fits straight away without issue the front needs to have the right side rotor and bolts removed. The wheel will need to be shimmied a bit off center to the right to make the caliper align. But it does not affect the handling. But you do notice the slight offset (at least I do) I need to find a thinner caliper or have mine machined about 1/4" to allow fitment without skimming the front wheel. I did a wheel exchange with ***** Shiny out of CA. Great wheels, excellent finish.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteKnight2000 (04-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Fitting Touring Wheels to Heritage Softail . . . Can it be done without modifications