Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting Touring Wheels to Heritage Softail . . . Can it be done without modifications

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Fitting Touring Wheels to Heritage Softail . . . Can it be done without modifications

While I really like the looks of a clean spoke wheel bike . . . I also like the ability to make emergency flat repairs to Tubeless Tires on a Cast Wheel . . . and I suppose that there's also something to be said for the amount of work to keep the spokes looking presentable.

So-o-o-o-o my question is: Can I put the Harley OEM factory "Knuckle" style Touring Wheels (see picture) on my 2010 Heritage? If so what modifications are needed and/or recommended. If I do this I want to do both front and rear so any issues with one or the other would be a problem.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-20-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow . . . no one has a clue?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I hope someone can chime in on this, I'd love to hear the options...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I dunno, but fatboy wheels went right on my '05 with no problem or mods done. Then I put 2 over tubes and tins on it so she'll corner:

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the answer is yes it will work, but theres a catch,

1 Dont get a wheel set that has the cush drive, a real pia to get this to work, lots of machine time

2 You will need to get spacers cut, most likely, Hey you could get lucky.

3 you may need a pulley spacer, you can get them from vulcan eng.

4 you will prob need new wheel bearings also to fit your axles unless again you get lucky

Other than that it should fit, as with most HD parts they almost all interchange albeit some minor modifications

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't answer your question but here are the things I'd consider:
Wheel diameter - are they close enough to avoid clearance issues?
Hub width - a small difference could be accommodated with different spacers.
Axle/bearing size - shouldn't be a major problem as HD sells bearing kits in just about every axle size. You can also likely avoid this by staying with the same model year for both bikes.

But, I'm not sure this is going to address part of your issue. I have those wheels on my 09 EGC and while they are easier to maintain than laced wheels, they still suck. All those tiny little holes are a pain and the edges are very sharp - have skinned more knuckles than I can count. Personally, I'd go with the solid Fatboy wheels - spray em with a hose and you're done.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM
jbmolly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't most of the touring bikes have dual discs in the front? Could you just take the one rotor off or would you need the fork leg with the caliper mount and the master cylinder for dual disc? I do not know for sure but for some reason these issues came to my mind.

The following users liked this post:
Sleeko (04-17-2024)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Not many if any had done this mod.... U say U've got a 10 Heritage,,, but Y dont say what Yr touring bike wheels Ur wanting to install. Big diff on what Yr Ur thinking about putting in .....
Cant remember anyone posting about doing it. Different yr bikes have diff size axle's and width. Also touring bikes will have brakes on both sides of the front.

Almost anything can be done if U spend enought money and time doing it..

Might be easier to buy the correct fitting wheels, of course it may cost more.

Last edited by oct1949; 03-17-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

If I'm thinking right the wheels you have pictured came on the 09 up ultras so the rear wheel has the IDS built in. Could be an issue. Front has dual discs another issue. Fatboy wheels should be a bolt on if tubeless is what you are after here.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:14 PM
SCRAGG78@GMAIL.COM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any solution.

So has there been any solution to this. I put an 09 touring front wheel on my 07 heritage softail. They have the same axle size. From what I measured other than the wheel being larger the hub measured the same width. I removed the right & left side rotar and installed the left rotar from my softail because the diameter is slightly smaller than a touring and mounted it to the touring wheel. The wheel mounted up fine however it's not centered. It sits closer to the right side fork. I used the softail spacers. Now I'm wondering if I get different spacers to center the wheel will the rotar are not go into the caliper like it supposed to?

Quick Reply: Fitting Touring Wheels to Heritage Softail . . . Can it be done without modifications