Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes - Not Loving 'Em

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have 4" risers that puts my hands directly out in front of the shoulders, maybe an inch lower. I find it's all around comfy, and I can take slow corners around bikes, gas pumps, people, ect. with ease.
Higher than that and I'd not be able to tour like I do.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,518 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Originally Posted by back again
I love the look but hate the ride.Uncomfortable as hell for me. Wait till ya get a 2-300 mile windy day in with your body being a kite.Not any fun to me.
My present bike had 18's when I bought it...looked cool, but never could get used to it.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Dyna with 14" apes, never could get used to them. Felt like Rocky the flying squirrel. To each his own.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time i've been on a bike with apes is when I had an opportunity to sit on my friends Crossbones with those HD Mini-apes that it comes with.. I've had shoulder problems in the past, and even lifting my arm past um..i guess you could say straight-outwards.. my hand starts going numb and such, so I had about 30 seconds before i realized that if they weren't working for me at a stand-still, there's no way they could work with me riding.. I've got the Street-Slammers on my Lo.. they're nice, but I sat on a 2012 Lo with those curved bars, and those were far more comfortable, even sitting

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had stockers ... Knuckles... Beachbars... And now apes... Definitely a difference riding with your hands high compared to hands low. Much much more comfort to me with apes. No back pain at all with apes... Knuckles and Beachbars were a nightmare to me. Back/shoulder pain after 45 minutes or so... Diggen my apes and diggen the style of apes... Wouldnt change my apes for any other style.... And my back/shoulders thank apes also... Good luck to you Op

Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
kipd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4" risers with 14 inch Carlini Evil Apes and absolutly love them. The 2 things I had to get used to was that the bars do feel a little more spongy than I would have thought, and with both hands on the grips (no windshield) I do feel a bit like a parachute at highway speeds lol. But no regrets at all, love the look, love the ride.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved them the first ride on my first Harley and I never switched back. It was the first thing I added to my Night Train when I picked it up. The riding position is much more comfortable with 14" Apes for me. I'm just under 6 foot. I don't think I would like anything higher like 18" though.

Definitely get the wind effects more but it's a trade off.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been riding quads, trikes, dirtbikes and assorted streetbikes for about 25 years. I am a pretty skilled rider to say the least. I got apes for the first time last year and it took me a while to get used to them. I was actually surprised how long it took me to get used to them.....but I did....and now I love them. Give it time, it takes a while.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

i loved mine from day one. Way better than the stockers. Thats a bummer your not feelin it. Give it a few more rides, hopefully you get the feel. Sure does look sick though.

Stone

Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Gunnar Schwede
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree with the above.. give it some time.. if you still hate them after a month, you know what to do.. I have a crossbones, originally with a 12" mini ape, ordered a 14" gimp. Will see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Apes - Not Loving 'Em