Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issue on the 2010 lo

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 PM
haulin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue on the 2010 lo

Hey guys...So a long story short, I was planning on going with some apes, but decided on 6" risers and the stock bars on my 2010 lo. There was just enough wiring left to make it happen, but I decided to pull the wires out of the bars and extend them anyways. Lot's of notes, and with my service manual in hand, it wasn't really that bad. My problem now is my something in the start circuit isn't working. Everything on the left side (the 8 pin connector) is working, wrapped up and tucked away. Fiddled around on the right side, ended up pulling the wires back out of the bars, and cut open the harness. I thought maybe the connector was bad, so I pulled the wires out and plugged them directly into the female connector and still no dice. My 4 ways work, the run / cut switch will power up the fuel pump when toggled, but if I press the start button I get nothing. My next move is to open up the shrink wrap and re solder, but I was wondering...when you press the start button, should I be seeing any type of voltage on the wire (black/red wire is the one for the start button I think) and is there anywhere else can can be checking with my multi meter to see where the circuit is broke? I'm pretty sure I still have a good ground on the bike. And ya, I know I don't have a lot of posts...I like to read, and haven't really needed to say anything other then Hi till now, but I did do a search so away.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you do have your security fob in range don't ya ? in neutral, clutch pulled in ?

i do have a question for ya. why did you pull wires out of the bars just to extend them for risers ?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
haulin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I'm an idiot...I had the thing in gear on the lift. Thanks a bunch froggy. When I added the 6" risers the wires were pulled tight everywhere to make it happen. It would've worked fine, but I figured knowing my luck, I would eventually rub through somewhere and cause a bigger issue, and at the time, I was enjoying a twisty, so it seemed like a good idea. I bought a set of 14" zbars, but once I roughed them up, they didn't work with my bike. I'm going with bigger bars, I just haven't found one that I have to have on the bike, so I guess I'm just doing it a little early.