Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change now check engine light is on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change now check engine light is on.

Did a search and tried what I found there (checking connections, disconnecting battery) but my light is still on.

2000 Night Train. Changed all three oils and filter and started up the bike and the check engine light came on and remains on. Let it run for awhile and its staying on. Not sure what could've caused it from the oil change, maybe the filter? any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

doubt it's related. no need to disconnect anything for service. do a search for how to get the fault code through a blink sequence. Mike

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

does your NT have the crank sensor down by the oil filter ? if so, i'm willing to bet you either knocked the connector loose or broke the sensor.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Cup
Cruiser

Don't know how it couldn't be related to something from the service. The engine light was not on while running to warm up before changing the oil. Wondering what I may have bumped/did maybe?

Might have to run the diag thing to see what code comes up. Was hoping for something simple. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
PLHbrian
Cruiser

I recently had the Engine light come on and no fault codes. The first problem i saw was that the charging voltage was showing +18 when the rpms got above 3000 should be around +14. So I thought the regulator burned up and swapped it out but that was not the problem. It turned out to be the stator was going bad. The thing is I had just changed all the fluids about 500 miles prior to this and thought the bike had been running great.

Just something to check.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Cup
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
does your NT have the crank sensor down by the oil filter ? if so, i'm willing to bet you either knocked the connector loose or broke the sensor.
That sounds possible. I'll check that our tomorrow. If that's not it I'll check for a code. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut a notch in my oil filter capwrench to keep it away from the crank sensor cause I was afraid I'd eventually break it.

Last edited by Mal74; 04-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
I am betting this is the issue as well!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Cup
Cruiser

Crank sensor appears tight and undamaged. Looks like I'll be running diag on it. Strange though. I didn't touch/change anything except oil plugs and filter.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
studmuffin13
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing alot of stator problems, Im on my 2nd one.. Looks like harley has had some crap stators that dont last long. My check engine light came on after all the fluids had been changed also. Some signs to look for. 1 Engine light. 2 Battery dies on you. 3 clunk when you go to start bike. You can disconnect the deutch fitting and test it to ground.

Quick Reply: Oil change now check engine light is on.