Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with carlini gangsta apes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

I thought about getting these apes for my fatboy lo! But i really like the stock bars cause they are very comfy and the 2012 lo comes with the thick 1.5" bars and i think they look good! But if i ever do go to the Gangster apes im going with the 14'' and black!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Boogaloo Dookie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out nash pudgy midgets! I just ordered 18'' with spike risers! I cant wait to get these in!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
PhatDLX
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect timing, I must say. I too was confused on which bars to get so to answer my question once and for all, I rode to Carlini since they were only 20+ miles away. Y not...perfect weather and excuse!! Haha. I have an 08 deluxe, lepera bare bones, and 5'7" so hopefully today, I'll pick out which bars suit my needs and comfort level.

Just waiting for everyone to return from lunch, and it'll be time for a test fit. My preferred choice are the flying apes, but need to decide whether I go with the 1.25 or 1.5.

I'm excited!!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM
fRESH88
Advanced

what size were u lookin at? 14 or 16?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Deadanimal
Tourer

Originally Posted by fRESH88
whats up everybody, Im currently looking at getting some gangsta apes for the ride, I just wanted some input on choosing the right size. Ive sat on a bike with 16's (not sure which brand of bars) with a le pera seat and they fit me perfect. Ive heard that carlini bars aren't really true to size? If that's the case should I go with 14's? Also, im having a hard time picking which width I should go with. 1.25 or 1.5? I know the 1.5 require new risers, so stop me if Im wrong but with 16's 1.5 (iv heard the 16's are actually around 17.5) and the raisers im looking at something around 18 inch bars? I plan on swapping out my seat to, so should I wait to get the bars after my new seat or the other way around?

Im in california and theres some dick police around my area that like to pull bikes over and I dont want to draw to much unwanted attention from them. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. If any of you guys have the bars feel free to drop a picture of ur ride

...oh and Im 5'9 if that helps you guys any
I Have a 12 Lo and ordered the 16" gangsters after sitting on a buddies 11 Lo and the 16"s were perfect for what I wanted. I ordered +8" cables and lines from barret and were to short, and am now waiting for my +12"s to arrive. I have the 1.50" bars so that is why the +8" did not fit. I had them on for a few hrs in the garage but new I could not ride with them on since the break line was streched out so bad I could not lock out left to right.
If you want to go with 14" Gangsters I have a brand new set of Barrett black lines for ABS. I'm 5' 10" and went with the 16" 1.50".

Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Brawny MMC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im 6 ft i have the 18s they are at chin height,with stock seat

Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 PM
PhatDLX
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatDLX
Perfect timing, I must say. I too was confused on which bars to get so to answer my question once and for all, I rode to Carlini since they were only 20+ miles away. Y not...perfect weather and excuse!! Haha. I have an 08 deluxe, lepera bare bones, and 5'7" so hopefully today, I'll pick out which bars suit my needs and comfort level.

Just waiting for everyone to return from lunch, and it'll be time for a test fit. My preferred choice are the flying apes, but need to decide whether I go with the 1.25 or 1.5.

I'm excited!!
Ok guys..here is my assessment. Again, I am 5'7", avg reach with a lepera barebones seat!! Seat will make a BIG difference!! I mocked up both a 14" flyin apes - 1.5 and 1.25, and let me say this, the 1.5's are just too wide for my comfort level. Let me also mention that I felt the 14's (actually 15.5') were a tad bit tall for me. I decided to try the 12" (actually 13.5"s and they felt much better and still 3" above my shoulders!!

So my conclusion, for a 5'7" individual, the 12" carlini flyin apes are perfect and NOTE, the bars are pushed forward to at least 12o'clock position. I just feel it loOks so much better on a side profile. If I were to push the the bars to a 10 or 11 o'clock position, then 14" would definitely be doable, but will not suit my taste.

So, I debated on going with the chubby 14"s or the carlini flyin apes and because I like the style if the flyin apes, I'm gonna go with the 12" carlini's which is basically .5" lower than the chubby's.

So, there u go!! If I was running a
Stock seat then the 14"s will be doable but my barebones brings me at least 2" lower and further back!

There u go. Hope this helps!! And I'm hoping I can use my cables I have now since I'm running beach bars.

The following users liked this post:
agsansoo (07-28-2017)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
MIANOLFI
6th Gear

Def go with the 14", I have 14" Gangster Apes with 1.5" High Roller Risers, also by Carlini. Im 5'11" on a good day and have a low profile seat...Have rode in many states, been pulled over (for not having mirrors) and height was 'tested' and passed...plus they are very comfortable, the thickness of the bars assist in limiting vibration vs other bars, I use to have Yaffe's...You can also adjust them forward or backward thru the risers to adjust comfort, I have mine almost straight up right now.
Pic below..

Attached Thumbnails Help with carlini gangsta apes-hd.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Would def go with 14s. They would fit perfectly. Cant go wrong with Carlinis, Top notch quality.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 AM
eric2011Deluxe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PhatDLX
Ok guys..here is my assessment. Again, I am 5'7", avg reach with a lepera barebones seat!! Seat will make a BIG difference!! I mocked up both a 14" flyin apes - 1.5 and 1.25, and let me say this, the 1.5's are just too wide for my comfort level. Let me also mention that I felt the 14's (actually 15.5') were a tad bit tall for me. I decided to try the 12" (actually 13.5"s and they felt much better and still 3" above bumy shoulders!!

So my conclusion, for a 5'7" individual, the 12" carlini flyin apes are perfect and NOTE, the bars are pushed forward to at least 12o'clock position. I just feel it loOks so much better on a side profile. If I were to push the the bars to a 10 or 11 o'clock position, then 14" would definitely be doable, but will not suit my taste.

So, I debated on going with the chubby 14"s or the carlini flyin apes and because I like the style if the flyin apes, I'm gonna go with the 12" carlini's which is basically .5" lower than the chubby's.

So, there u go!! If I was running a
Stock seat then the 14"s will be doable but my barebones brings me at least 2" lower and further back!

There u go. Hope this helps!! And I'm hoping I can use my cables I have now since I'm running beach bars.

Thought you would go with the 14s.

Quick Reply: Help with carlini gangsta apes