Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought Samson 33" Longtails for my Deluxe.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
justguth
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought Samson 33" Longtails for my Deluxe.....

I was planning on doing the install myself.....

Is it a pretty easy project? Anything I should know ahead of time?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 AM
justguth
Cruiser

Crickets...

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the thinner Samson Flanges. It will make your life a lot easier especially on the rear jug. For an extra 25.00 or so bucks each you can have the chrome brackets from Samson. I would also use high temp silicone on all the connections to avoid leaks ( EXCEPT THE HEAD PIPES). I used Ultra Copper.

Not a hard install but more steps are required. You have to change the seat/coil bracket and shift linkage (comes with the exhaust). A little more tweaking required to make the duals nice and level and even. Fit everything thing loose. Then go back and tighten it all up to specs. Go slow and you should have no problems.

Thats all I got for you man. Hope it helps

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
BB06FLHX
Road Warrior

Why do you have to change the seat/coil bracket and the shift linkage? I installed the V&H duals and didn't change that stuff.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
justguth
Cruiser

Helps a lot. Are you able to send a pic of the seat/coil bracket your talking about? Little unclear on this.

Does Dr Vtwin sell those extras

Originally Posted by Malingerer
I would HIGHLY recommend getting the thinner Samson Flanges. It will make your life a lot easier especially on the rear jug. For an extra 25.00 or so bucks each you can have the chrome brackets from Samson. I would also use high temp silicone on all the connections to avoid leaks ( EXCEPT THE HEAD PIPES). I used Ultra Copper.

Not a hard install but more steps are required. You have to change the seat/coil bracket and shift linkage (comes with the exhaust). A little more tweaking required to make the duals nice and level and even. Fit everything thing loose. Then go back and tighten it all up to specs. Go slow and you should have no problems.

Thats all I got for you man. Hope it helps

Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
justguth
Cruiser

Are you talking about the brackets that are holding the exhaust back by the rear tire?

Originally Posted by Malingerer
For an extra 25.00 or so bucks each you can have the chrome brackets from Samson.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
fRESH88
Advanced

i just installed mine about 2 weeks ago. I had a **** time doin it. lol but its nothing on samson or my install, its more on HD for not including mounting holes on my bike!

I did however have to flip my shift rod upside down (the instructions say to run the rod under the U-pipe but It wasnt enough clearance to let me changes gears so I had to improvise)

pipes sound sweet and definitely wake the neighbors up ... and I would also suggest the high-temp silicone on the pipes as well. I didnt do it on mine, not yet, because that was mentioned to me after the install. lol check below for my install thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...on-cholos.html

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Pipes

Yes get the samson flanges.......and the coil bracket and linkage come in the package...there for clearence.. But get the flanges it will make the install so much easier.and there sold seperate $25

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BB06FLHX
Why do you have to change the seat/coil bracket and the shift linkage? I installed the V&H duals and didn't change that stuff.
Wondering this myself.

Oh, and how do you like the V&H duels? (I actually prefer the V&H fishtails)

Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your bike is an 07 or newer you have to change the seat/coil bracket as mentioned by Malininger. A 3/16 hex socket will help when connecting the crossover pipe. And as Malininger said, spend the extra on the thinner chrome flange kit. A 1/4 drive socket set with a 1/2 socket for connecting the header pipe is almost a must.

Just take your time, loosely fit everything up and then go back and start tighten from front to rear. Get some high temp red RTV and put a bead around the inside female flange to help give you a good seal. I didn't when I initially installed mine and this weekend I went back and done so because I noticed a couple leaks. Once that was done, it also reduced a lot of the decel popping I was having and the bike feels like she's running better.

Good luck, grab 2 or 3 cans of beer and you should have it licked!

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 04-23-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Bought Samson 33" Longtails for my Deluxe.....