Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 softail custom. looking at it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Bigmikeyd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 softail custom. looking at it.

I found this the other day been talking to him. he wants 7k for it it's got a harley 6 speed conversion, it's had work done to the motor he doesn't know what though. it's the army style i want i just have to do some other things to it haven't looked at it yet. let me know if it sounds like a good price value? and what i should expect. bike problems what not with year. the 6 speed conversion is supose to be a harley add on to existing 5 speed. supose to be battery issues i've never owned a bike let alone a harley should i be worried about the year or whats going on here. i'm also 6 3 265 so ill figure out soon if it's big enough for me. any advice would be great.

96 SOFTAIL CUSTOM WITH A PAUGHCO SPRINGER FRONT END. THIS BIKE IS A RUNNER. IT HAS STRETCHED 5 GALLON TANKS, 6 SPEED TRANSMITION AND ENGINE HAS BEEN REBUILT (TOP AND BOTTOM W/ BIGGER CAM). IT HAS CUSTOM PAINT DONE 2 YEARS AGO. PAUGCHO STRAIT PIPES. TIRES HAVE ABOUT 3000 MILES ON THEM (IF THAT). ALSO HAS HYPER CHARGER AND S&S SHORTIE CARB.

Attached Thumbnails 96 softail custom. looking at it.-1996-harley_izit9-1-.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
blackbear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd personally stay away from that one.Just because of the amount of stuff thats been done to it.You don't know if it was all put together right.It could be one big can of worms.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

96 is a good year but there's no mention of actual mileage, or the mileage since it's questionable rebuild. It's probably unknown, not that it matters, I'd pass regardless. $7k will buy you a much better bike than that bastardized mix-mash.

I'd certainly keep looking.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Get it checked out by a qualified 3rd party.It's a Evo and hard to kill. Does it have the leaking rear cylinder base gasket?Does it start cold easily,any smoke on start up.^ speed is a plus on the older bikes.Not really into the look which can easily be changed with paint and a 50.00 swap meet rear fender,but it has some nice parts on it.I would say if it checks out 7k is doable but I would try and get it in the 6k range for a good deal.Remember it's a 96 but then again there are a lot of 100k Evo's on the road today.Ride it,does it feel solid with no hick ups.If it's tuned right there should be very little to none decel pop.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Bigmikeyd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks i actually tried to get the vin from the guy and he couldn't come up with it so i've moved on. Fatboy trying to stay in the 10k range but it's hard when everyone values their bikes way above bkk or nada people trying to get more than a dealer would or dealers only being able to finance in house because it's so redick with the pricing. if you have any good values Oregon area 9k pre approved as long as it's worth it i can go a couple k cash above that but i'm not gonna over pay for anything