Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got New Bars - Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got New Bars - Wiring Question

Got the Chubby W502’s (12.5) Med Apes.
I should have asked them at the time if they sold wiring kits, guess I’ll have to wait till Monday.
In the mean time – anyone know where to get the perfect size cables.

And – should I wire as much as I can inside the bars, or not go that rout.

Oh - and I'm thinking of doing the tank lift kit while I'm at it.

Wadda ya think?[/i]

Old 01-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Got New Bars - Wiring Question

Sorry I have no advice for ya' Finalcut. But I hope we get to see a pic of the bars installed and maybe some words of wisdom of the install. I'll be doing the same real soon. I just haven't decided on the 9.5 or 12.5 Springer apes yet. But it'll be my first time doing internal wiring too. Good luck and please post some pics!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Denbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about looking in places like J&P cycles,bikers choice,mid-usa,custom chrome etc.I would think if you gave them your measurments they could help you out.Those wild-one bars are real nice aren't they I have the drag bars on my fat-boy.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:34 PM
ironman
Advanced

Hi,
If you can get hold of some automotive cabling, splicing and extending the wiring aint too difficult - like all jobs its about patience and thinking about it - its certainly not brain surgery,so if youc ant get an extended wiring loom, think about this as an option(probabaly a lot cheaper too)

Just be sure to use heat shrink when you solder thecablesand remember not to bunch all of the joins - stagger them so it makes for an easier job when feeding the wires through the bars.

IMHO if you've gone to so much effort so far - its definaitely worth wiringinternally. You'll thank yourself afterwards, even tough it may take a few extra hours - the fit and finish will last a lifetime.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on eh ?

Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i measured how much extra i needed for my SPECIFIC modeland then went to my local shop
told them and they sent the order in and i got exactly what i needed

if you want their number let me know
i think they are Cycle-Tech cables..........friggin awesome looking and rugged as hell
cost me about $250

Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Coaster

Sorry I have no advice for ya' Finalcut. But I hope we get to see a pic of the bars installed and maybe some words of wisdom of the install. I'll be doing the same real soon. I just haven't decided on the 9.5 or 12.5 Springer apes yet. But it'll be my first time doing internal wiring too. Good luck and please post some pics!
I have a Springer Softail and had Chubby Apes 9.5 installed. I was too chicken to do it myseld and had the shop do it for me. I dropped the front signals and put on the HD mirrors with LED signals. It looks great, waiting for some better weather to up load some photo's.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: NW FXSTS
I have a Springer Softail and had Chubby Apes 9.5 installed. I was too chicken to do it myseld and had the shop do it for me. I dropped the front signals and put on the HD mirrors with LED signals. It looks great, waiting for some better weather to up load some photo's.
If the first pic in your album is with the 9.5" then that's what I'm looking for. Looks great.

Now back on topic

Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Are the bars predrilled? If they are the worst is done, the difference between the length you would need to add would be negligible. And it add a little to the over all look of the biike.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Finalcut

Got the Chubby W502’s (12.5) Med Apes.
I should have asked them at the time if they sold wiring kits, guess I’ll have to wait till Monday.
In the mean time – anyone know where to get the perfect size cables.

And – should I wire as much as I can inside the bars, or not go that rout.

Oh - and I'm thinking of doing the tank lift kit while I'm at it.

Wadda ya think?
Run your wires through the bars. You won't regret the extra effort. They're pre-drilled and you can pick up this simple no-splice harness extension that makes extending it a piece of cake.

For cabling, basically, if you go to your dealer or call Barnett (better idea) and tell them your bike and what apes you're moving up to, they'll give you the proper length. I went +6 on my Dyna. For the brake line, just use a floppy tape measure to figure out what length you need.

Whiff

Old 01-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys

I am going to do the wiring in the bars since they are pre-drilled. Can't wait to get these bad boys set up!

Quick Reply: Got New Bars - Wiring Question