Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spit & Sputter in the cold.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:07 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spit & Sputter in the cold.

Only for you Carb Guys.

Do you ever have any issues with it Spitting & Sputttering?

Doing the enrichener/choke thing as the book states, also spoke to 2 dealers service deparments who say it may be a intake leak, jetts in carb to lean.

It does have a Stage 1 done to it, and the V&H Longshots, and it happens in the 30 40 50degree range.

For what its worth too, it gets better after about 40 mile of continnious running.

Any info/ ideaswould be great.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:42 PM
flstcbob
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Spit & Sputter in the cold.

What size jets are you running? Jet kit?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a little caughing at first but not for 40+ miles>

Old 01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
bgr8ful
Advanced

When I ride in cold weather mine does stutter only when the engine is cold. Once it warms up, everything runs great.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My friends sporty was doing that all the time and it was an intake leak. It stopped after he made the repair.

Both my bikes are carbed and I pull the choke out completely just to get the bike to fire then pull the throttle and push the choke in completely. I use the throttle screw to hold the engine rpm higher until it warms up. When I followed the manuals I would always get fouled plugs.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 AM
majmike
Stage IV

Hey guy. It has been a while but I used wd 40 on the intake manifold of my vw carbs to detect for an intake leak. I'm new to the Harley world but will this work?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:51 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both my bikes are carbed and I pull the choke out completely just to get the bike to fire then pull the throttle and push the choke in completely. I use the throttle screw to hold the engine rpm higher until it warms up. When I followed the manuals I would always get fouled plugs.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Ride On........[8D]

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
baitrunner
Advanced

when you pull the plugs, check them to see if they're white and dry / black and dry / or black and wet. this will give you an indication on if your mixture screw is set properly. another way to check for an intake leak, depending on your breather type, is you can pull the air cleaner and plug the intake hole with your hand or something, this should choke the engine and it should stop running... if it continues to run, you have a leak. another thing to look for is, when the stage 1 was done, did the mechanic just change the jets, or did he do the whole jet kit with new emultion tube / springs / jets and needle valve?

just a few more things to look into

Old 01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
blueduece
Road Captain

This is the same exact way i start my Deuce

ORIGINAL: ChopperHammer666

My friends sporty was doing that all the time and it was an intake leak. It stopped after he made the repair.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

Wolfdog - that's the exact set-up I'm running (Stage 1 with V&H Longshots) and yes, cold weatherdoes cause some sputtering and one cylinder operations for a short while. But never as long as you described. I would think that an intake leak would bea problem in all weather conditions.

It is also true that keeping the choke fully closed when cold starting tends to foul the rear plug and that is what is causing the hiccups on my bike. No big deal - call it personality.

Carbs rule!

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Spit & Sputter in the cold.