Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with detachable sissy bar.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,889 Likes on 4,674 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, it will be on the bike quite a bit but I really want to be able to snap it off for those times when that cleaner look hits me.

Question, just to be clear because I may not quite understand Softails yet:
Is the turn signal "just" bolted to the strut cover or does it go thought the strut as well. Because thats a huge difference in work, i.e. just pulling a strut cover vs removing the whole fender.
They're just bolted on, but done right, you shouldn't even have to worry about removing them unless you're replacing them.

For no part of this will you have to remove the fender.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Same here.. One thing I'll add is the every part/mod I've bought from dealer has fit perfect and the quality would be hard to beat.
All my chrome add ons are going on 6yrs old and they all still looks like new and they all work like they did when new.
Some aftermarket parts are cheaper but not all IMO are as good and won't last as long or fit correctly to began with as the HD parts.

Ditto. I have the quick release passenger pad and rack for the Fat Boy from HD; it detaches in seconds. It also gives me a rack/support for my two travel bags. It stays in the garage most of the time but is so easy to install I use it whenever the wifey wants to come along.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Awesome info, the forum has come through as I knew it would. I will hit ebay and compare some prices and styles. I double stoked since a buddy with another '05 Fat Boy just sold me a virtually new Mustang two piece seat with rider backrest for a song. This project is gonna come along nicely. A set of Wild 1's 14 Chubby apes are next. At least at this point, phase ONE of the Fat Boy transformation will be under way!!! Psych!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,889 Likes on 4,674 Posts

I'm glad it's working out for you! Pics will be expected.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The day I brought my bike home my wife asked me how was she supposed to ride without a backrest. So, the next day I went back to the dealership and bought the docking hardware, sideplates, upright and pad. Now the backrest just sits in the shop hoping to get used again someday. $350.00 worth of **** and she has only rode with me once. A huge waste of money.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
$350.00 worth of **** and she has only rode with me once. A huge waste of money.

Lol, yeah...... women are evil.

Yes, pics will be coming!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
The day I brought my bike home my wife asked me how was she supposed to ride without a backrest. So, the next day I went back to the dealership and bought the docking hardware, sideplates, upright and pad. Now the backrest just sits in the shop hoping to get used again someday. $350.00 worth of **** and she has only rode with me once. A huge waste of money.

Yeah my wife has ridden with me twice so I know what you mean but....

I got lucky after both times and my kids have been on the bike about 10 times so it wasn't a total waiste. Good thing everything is detachable

Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile sissy bar

i have the fatboy lo. i have the one piece black siisy bar i keep it on all the time i like the look of it my girl rides sometimes

Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Glad its workin out for ya!
Mine came with the backrest, only person been on there is my daughter, once. It stays on to hold my bacpack/lunch for back and forth to work. Also good for mounting travel stuff.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Most of the detachable sissy bars I have seen require you relocate the turn signals. I run the HD bar but made a little mod so I could run the stock turn signals. I just ground off a 1/4 or so and touched it up with black nail polish.

Like you, I wanted a detachable sissy bar so I could remove it when my wife didn't ride, but it's become a permanent fixture.
+1 on that

Quick Reply: Help me with detachable sissy bar.