Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on a Blackline Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Hwyman507
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Video Update) Questions on a Blackline Stage 1

Hello,

I recently purchased a set of Samson Legend Series Rip Saws in Sinister Black (S2-974B) for my 2011 FXS Blackline. I also purchased a Performance Machine Super Gas air cleaner. I plan to install both of these when doing my Stage 1.

I have a couple questions about the process. I am considering installing the pipes and air cleaner myself then riding the bike approximately 30 miles to the dealership for the Stage 1 and the Dyno. This would mostly be to save a few bucks on the parts install. However, if it is unhealthy for the bike I will just spend the money and have them to do it there. Any opinions on this?

Additionally, I plan to wrap the Rip Saws. I noticed in previous posts that other forum members did this over the heat shielding with seemingly no problems. I wanted to confirm that this is fine to do. I also wanted to ask if it would be better to wrap the pipes before the Dyno tune or if it is ok to wrap them after. I am assuming after is the best but I don't know how much difference it would actually make. I ask because I would really prefer to do the wrap myself because I could easily see the dealer doing a shitty job. I could also wrap them before taking them in, take the Rip Saws back off, and put the OE exhaust back on before riding to the dealership.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hwyman507; 07-28-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Hwyman507
Intermediate

I just spoke with the a local dealer who quoted me $460 and 5 hours of Dyno time. He also advised that I had to purchase all parts from from the dealership as it was a liability issue to install anything they did not order. I probably should have called before ordering the parts on my own. Am I SOL on getting this done at a dealership or has anyone had any luck convincing them to do it with self-bought parts?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Save yourself the headaches and get a Power Vision from FuelMoto. Unless you're trying to wring every ounce of performance out of it, the canned maps will work just fine.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hwyman507
Hello,

I recently purchased a set of Samson Legend Series Rip Saws in Sinister Black (S2-974B) for my 2011 FXS Blackline. I also purchased a Performance Machine Super Gas air cleaner. I plan to install both of these when doing my Stage 1.

I have a couple questions about the process. I am considering installing the pipes and air cleaner myself then riding the bike approximately 30 miles to the dealership for the Stage 1 and the Dyno. This would mostly be to save a few bucks on the parts install. However, if it is unhealthy for the bike I will just spend the money and have them to do it there. Any opinions on this?

IMO extremely bad. Gonna run way too lean, which will just cause overheating. Couldn't be good for that long. I've had experience with running a different pipe without the tune for a few miles and was no good.

Additionally, I plan to wrap the Rip Saws. I noticed in previous posts that other forum members did this over the heat shielding with seemingly no problems. I wanted to confirm that this is fine to do. I also wanted to ask if it would be better to wrap the pipes before the Dyno tune or if it is ok to wrap them after. I am assuming after is the best but I don't know how much difference it would actually make.

I've heard of carbed applications after wrapping being able to jet down a size because of the heat difference being held inside which changes your exhaust gas velocity but I'm not sure I buy that. If in fact it does if your pipes still have the O2's it should compensate for that little of a change IMO.

I ask because I would really prefer to do the wrap myself because I could easily see the dealer doing a shitty job.

I'd take your time and do it yourself. Me and my buddy did mine just to make sure the wraps were nice and tight and even. Dealerships don't care about sh*t. I haven't had a dealer fix what they were SUPPOSED TO let alone install something with some care and apply some effort to make sure it doesn't just "get done" instead of getting done RIGHT.

I could also wrap them before taking them in, take the Rip Saws back off, and put the OE exhaust back on before riding to the dealership.

If you're going to have it dyno tuned you'd need to bring the new pipes and have them re-install them before hand. Whatever pipes you're going with need to be on the bike for it to be tuned correctly.

Thanks.
Hope this helps...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Hwyman507
Intermediate

Thanks a ton Jesse. I spoke with another dealer who said they would install my parts no problem.

I am concerned though because he also said it would be no problem if I installed the air cleaner and pipes myself and rode the 14 miles up to his dealership. I definitely don't want to risk it if there is a chance I could hurt the bike. What do you think about this distance?

I don't think those Rip Saw have the the O2. However, I am also pretty confident that wrapping them after the Dyno tune wont be too bad... Unless someone can explain to me differently.

Last edited by Hwyman507; 07-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

In truth it likely won't hurt anything although it may not run particularly well.
Why are you set on the dyno? You do realize that in order to dyno it you are going to have to buy a tuner? As I said, unless you are looking to squeeze every bit of horsepower out of it, you can save yourself time and money by installing the pipes and intake yourself, and then using the Power Vision to tune. It is amazingly easy and extremely effective.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Hwyman507
Intermediate

Thanks Nocturnal,

The idea of saving the ~$500 on the Dyno is appealing.

One concern I have is that this is my first bike and I am still not very mechanically savvy. I know you mentioned that tuning with the Power Vision is easy but I would still be nervous that my bike was not running properly after the tune.

The dealer also mentioned that they do Power Commander installs as well but then proceeded to tell me something about how that until only tricks your bike into thinking its re-tuned and then advised that he does more Power Commander removals than Super Tuner installs. I don't know how much of this is true but can you tell me how the Power Vision differs from the Power Commander?

Finally, I don't need to mount that ugly display do I? I dont want anything that will change the look of the bike (besides the new cleaner and pipes ).

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM
black1125
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 2011 Blackline, with pipes and SE Ventilator aircleaner, have only xied's installed and it runs great, don't really care if I left a couple horses on the table...factory download =worthless

Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Nocturnal made a good point with wondering if you realize you have to buy a hand-held tuner before being dyno tuned. That is alot more expensive but alot better of a tune done this way, however is it worth the money to be Dyno Tuned with pipes that DO NOT have 02's? IMHO I think no because you're AFR is going to be changing with the weather so for that lil extra you'll get out of a dyno tune you may lose anyways over the change of the season's or altitude etc, making it not worth the extra $400 you just paid to get that FINE TUNING. Canned tunes I have experience with Power Commander's as I can't speak for anything other similar tuners, but from what I've done I didn't like them much at all using what they had to offer without having 02's. DynoJet (Power Commander) only has so many tunes named/Pre-set Tunes as some of the common pipes/setups and if you don't have that EXACT setup you're on your own guessing which one is going to be best for your combo. The bike I did was on a Nightster with Vance and Hines SideShot's (No O2's) and the best tune was for a slip-on with an air filter which worked great in the Summertime at 105 degree's. Using the complete after market pipe tunes was making the bike noticeably too rich and sluggy on the bottom-end after it was up to heat. The Winter time I think we went with a tune that actually wasn't slip-on's was for a full pipe setup and richened it up.

Side note: Having 02's in your pipes makes it mighty nice going from low valley to high mountain's, or cold winter to hot summer and having it run exactly the same no matter what.

As far as the "not hurting it to ride 14 miles"... I took mine around the block which was about 3 miles and the pipes blue-ish color went from half way down the headpipe, changed to purple and clear back to the muffler's and melted my pants at the first stoplight ( wearing dickies) lol. Just seems WAY to hot to ride very far, but again that's just my opinion. May or may not burn up a valve or whatever else could be damaged by excessive heat or running too lean... I just wouldn't risk it myself. My Dad did the same with his bike. He slapped some slip-on's on his Fat-boy Lo and wouldn't listen to me and had the same problem... imagine that lol.

Sorry for the lengthly reply... Bored at work lol.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Hwyman507
Intermediate

I took a look at the tunes they have available for download on their website and only saw a bunch of stuff for SE air cleaners and V&H pipes. I emailed them and asked if they offered anything for my setup (Samson Rip Saws and PM Super Gas air cleaner).

Quick Reply: Questions on a Blackline Stage 1