Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i found a defect on 2012 fatboy lo models

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Mugsy666
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default i found a defect on 2012 fatboy lo models

i found that all ABS models got a different cable setup by the triple tree... this causes a bad scratching pattern on the black finish what the hell should i do? i think zip tieing it is not it...... i have a piece of electrical tape on it...... looks like ****.....

thanks
Mike

Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a chrome cable clamp like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-49mm-...788c9e&vxp=mtr

Without a pic, it's hard to visualize what would work.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Mugsy666
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hard to explain thanx

Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Is this your first Harley...or maybe your first motorcycle? I got news for you; most motorcycles (cruisers) will have some rubbing and scratching to either the frame, bars or some other portion due to cable/wire routing. It's just the nature of motorcycles. I'm sure there are many ways to remedy most of the problems but otherwise it's just something you deal with and is not considered a defect as you say.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Jim_bo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Is this your first Harley...or maybe your first motorcycle? I got news for you; most motorcycles (cruisers) will have some rubbing and scratching to either the frame, bars or some other portion due to cable/wire routing. It's just the nature of motorcycles. I'm sure there are many ways to remedy most of the problems but otherwise it's just something you deal with and is not considered a defect as you say.
No... I totally disagree. I have a 2012 FB Lo and I had the same problem. However, I didn't really notice it until the throttle cables and rubbed all the way through the black paint on my tins. I now have two little silver spots. I fixed mine by replacing my handlebars. But this is just a bad design and bad cable routing.

I have been a metric bike rider all my life. This is my first Harley. I really love riding this bike... it is more fun than a barrel full of 18 year old virgins. But I am a bit disappointed in the amateurish designs and engineering. The fit and finish on this bike compared to a Honda or Yamaha are like night and day. There are mismatched parts and very unsophisticated design issues all over the bike. I have NEVER seen quality control issues like this on a metric bike.

The thing that is more disheartening is the way Harley riders simply dismiss this low level of attention to detail. They make excuses for the MoCo. They say things like, "It's a Harley... It's not the space shuttle... shut up and ride". But this lack of demand for excellence by the customer base only encourages the MoCo to continue with sub-par practices. We should NOT be making excuses for the MoCo. We should be demanding higher quality. There is absolutely no excuse in the fact that I can buy a metric version of my bike for 2/3 the price (if that much) and has a far superior level of quality. I say, stop making excuses for HD!! Demand better!! The problem described by the OP is really cheezy and could have been fixed by HD for pennies (if any expense at all). But this permissive environment that they sell bikes in does not motivate them to do better.

Now... all that said... I really like my fatboy. I do not regret buying the bike. I do not lament that I paid way too much money for it. It is a very fun bike to ride. I am not here to beat up on HD... but I am making the point that they don't seem to strive for the industry standards of quality despite their ridiculously high sales price.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Liberator
Cruiser

**** man, you should see the bullshit problems I have with my Ducati.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Jim_bo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Liberator
**** man, you should see the bullshit problems I have with my Ducati.
Lol!!! Good point. But I wasn't really referring to Ducati when I spoke of "metric bikes".

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I beg to differ. I've found the fit and finish on my XBones to be much better than the metrics I've owned.

The metric makers tend to cover everything with plastic, hiding flaws.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Monday or Friday bikes .Poor workmanship is not a HD product!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kwo51
Monday or Friday bikes .Poor workmanship is not a HD product!!!!!!
It sure is. They represent HD. They are an extension of the brand. That is a union worker for you.

Quick Reply: i found a defect on 2012 fatboy lo models