Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Monster Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey nice progress!

about the sporty tank... your case is simpler since mine is EFI and I had to go hunting for a used fuel pump for Sportsters.. you can go with pretty much any peanut tank design... I think a stretched version looks good on softails... but I was limited in choices... man... I say go ahead with a peanut tank.. the bike looks great with it... I will take pictures tomorrow... I promise!!!.. :-)

Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 PM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanx Joe,

Just a couple of pics of the mounting points to give me some ideas would be great. A pic or two of your relocated ignition mount would be cool too, front and back side, to get my noggin thinkin on ideas.

I have a sporty king tank on the way from Panic Cycles. Left side petcock, for carb bikes etc. Just waitin for parts now. I could have the bike back on the road by next weekend if no huge issues pop up.

Bye Bye ugly speedo (that wasnt hooked up anyway) and ignition switch!!!

Last edited by ctluba; 11-24-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Look mom, no more zip tie holding on the MC!!

Crazy monster 2.0 will be an improvement over 1.0..........I hope!!! 8)

Hey guys, I have been holding off on trying to start the bike to determine if there is any motor damage. The reason I have not tried to start it is I have been waitin for the primary cover to arrive. Can I start the bike to idle with the primary cover off????

It would help to relieve some anxiety if I knew the motor was running properly. Primary cover wont be in till mid week!!

Last edited by ctluba; 11-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the plugs out just in case oil got into the cylinders and is hydro locking them. Dumped my first bike and was told to do this and when I did a fair amount of oil came out the plug holes on the compression stroke. I suppose it could have done some good damage had I not

Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Thanx, I will.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 AM
ctluba
Road Captain

911, where is your emergency??

Hellp, this is joebotics, you better get some cops over to my house fast!!!

What is going sir???

There is some crazy dude tryin to kick down my front door. He is screamin somethin about "where are my pictures!!!!!!!!"

Do you know who he is sir??

I think it may be this dude from a motorcycle forum I frequent on line. Just please get someone here fast!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry Bro.. I failed you again!! lol

Ok... so I just took these pictures at night ... quality sucks but you will get the idea.. so, my bike is EFI and I went with at 2007+ sportster tank.. it has the long support mounts in the front and the rear.. for the front I secured it using a hole that is in the the reinforced area of the frame in the neck area... I just had to drill the hole to make it a bit bigger and then I used some white pipe cut to about an inch long on each side of the mount as spacers and in order to reinforce the whole thing... here is a pic:

More detail:

The rear mount is long and usually connects to the mount bracket on Sportsters... my bike has a hole in the frame for the mount of the original tank.. I re-purposed the hole with a bolt going from underneath, then I drilled the tank mount, and I nylon lock nut does the job of securing the rear..

Mode detail:

Fortunately for me but unfortunately for you (sorry!) I didn't have to do anything to relocate the ignition switch... as my bike, a 2011 Blackline (or whatever is left of it lol) already comes with the ignition switch/coil combo nicely relocated:

The speedo on my bike comes installed on top of the triple trees... my bike has no tank panel... I just relocated the speedo on the side using a simple L bracket:

Perhaps I was not able to help as much, but I am always willing to help, so please ask any questions and I will try to answer when I take a break from drinking and chasing girls...

Be safe out there!...

Last edited by joebotics; 11-25-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

ThanX Joe, That was exactly what I was lookin for. I dont why I was gettin so uptight about the tank?? I mean I did swap some other minor componants of the bike all by myself!!!

Basically you just did what you had to do to bolt the bastard to bike and keep it lookin clean as ya can. The tank I ordered also has the long mounts on the front, so that should be pretty easy. The rear doesnt have that nice long bracket like yours. It has a small shackle type mount underneath it. I dont foresee a huge problem. Little hole there, maybe weld a little tab there, I should be good.

The ignition is probably gonna be a bigger pain in the A than the tank. I would like to retain the neutral light and oil light. The wiring is simple, the whole set up is one big plug, so nothing to do there. I guess just make a bracket that can hide all the little wires and parts.

I love the pic of your bike in the signature. If ya get bored post some multi-angle pics here, would love to get a better look at it, blacked out, bobbed, sporty tank....BAD ***!!!

Thanx again.

Last edited by ctluba; 11-25-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
ctluba
Road Captain

Why is it whenever I order parts all the little secondary stuff shows up fast and the big important stuff takes forever!!!

Everything has showed up except for the primary, derby and friggin gas tank!!! Oh well.

Just screwin around in the garage after work. This would look pretty good!!

New taillight and plate bracket showed up. Not bad for 25 bucks!!! Paid 50 for the other one at a harley shop!!! That got "redesigned" in the crash!!

Last edited by ctluba; 11-26-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ahh man, how did i miss the completed bike and then the "redesign"... glad you are ok man! if you need any parts shoot me a PM i can check my parts shelves... glad your ok man! bike looked sick prior to the decision to rebuild it

Quick Reply: Crazy Monster Build thread