Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get power for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get power for GPS

I am installing a GPS on the handle bar of my 2013 FLSTC and want to run a power cable to it.
Where is the best place to grab the switched power?

I do not want to get into removing the tank to run the wires back to the battery but maybe that is not to bad.

I have opened up the headlight on previous bikes and got the power there, not sure if that is a good place on the Heritage.

Was wondering it I can get power at the switch for the driving lights?

Any thoughts would be great!
Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i believe if you pull the headlight out, there is an orange/white wire in there that is switched power.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, that's where I'm getting my power. I just have a Fatboy so no switch to worry about, but the wire is still there. Just don't forget it's there when you turn on your high beams!!!! High beams = no power to the aux lights!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by spydyr
Yep, that's where I'm getting my power. I just have a Fatboy so no switch to worry about, but the wire is still there. Just don't forget it's there when you turn on your high beams!!!! High beams = no power to the aux lights!!!
not sure if you're referring to the switch for the passing lamps but the orange/white should be an accessory feed and not tied into the passing lamp or headlight circuits.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
loosnut
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gps power

I just put a lighter plug on my bars that is powered through my battery tender plug. I just plug the gps into the lighter plug.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

I put a USB plug on the neck of the Deuce. Ordered on the Internet, it hooks to the battery with a fuse. I think it slowly drains battery, so I am going to move it to a switched supply. Worked good to power GPS and charge phone. I fished the wire under the tank without taking it off. I used the bicycle handlebar mount on the Garmin GPS I used.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by DDuess
I put a USB plug on the neck of the Deuce. Ordered on the Internet, it hooks to the battery with a fuse. I think it slowly drains battery, so I am going to move it to a switched supply. Worked good to power GPS and charge phone. I fished the wire under the tank without taking it off. I used the bicycle handlebar mount on the Garmin GPS I used.
With that setup you just connect the negative to the battery ground post.. then take the positive and connect it to the power of your license plate lite or any positive side of a light that comes on only when the ignition is in the on position.

I did something like that to my buell.. here is a link to the $8 Radioshack part that i used.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3896268

Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Not 100% sure about a 2013 so you need to look. Under the tank you may find an O/W wire that's just dead-ended there. It used to be under the tank, left side, towards the front. I believe it was used for the International models that had a parking light. It should be hot in both acc and run so would be excellent for picking up power for accessories like yours. Take a look and see if you see the pigtail dead-ended under the tank (O/W wire with a connector on it but nothing connected). Someone with a 2013 FSM could probably look in the diagram for you.

Best of all, if it's there....free. No need to buy parts.

Last edited by stailjim61; 11-14-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 AM
DDuess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scarygt
With that setup you just connect the negative to the battery ground post.. then take the positive and connect it to the power of your license plate lite or any positive side of a light that comes on only when the ignition is in the on position.

I did something like that to my buell.. here is a link to the $8 Radioshack part that i used.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3896268
I used the 3BR power sports weatherproof USB tap, smaller and easier to hide then a lighter plug.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 AM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Walmart & bought a weather-proof power outlet. Ran the wires down the frame on the right side & into the fuse compartment. As for the mount of the power outlet, I used one of those command strips that you can remove if you want it gone. I mounted it on the chrome plate behind the headlight & windshield. It was on there for 3 years but I took ot off this year as I installed a fairing that had 2 power outlets in it.. Very simple to do & less than $10.00 total.

Quick Reply: Where to get power for GPS