Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting cables to drive by wire??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM
ColinSiR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting cables to drive by wire??

Has anyone done this yet? Were parting out Harleys where I work and we got a couple with drive by wire. Im assuming change the throttle bodies and maybe a module and wires?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Cant remember seeing anyone posting about doing it in here..

Although several have done the EFI to Carb.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
mike 09
Cruiser

Personally I would stay with cables. most fly by wire seem to have a strange lag. (at least in cars, never had a scoot with it)

Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
ColinSiR
Advanced

Ill stick with the cables

Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by mike 09
Personally I would stay with cables. most fly by wire seem to have a strange lag. (at least in cars, never had a scoot with it)
Yeppers I know the 10's does.. when My Son got his new St Glide in 10 and I rode it,, I keep killing it at take offs several time afore I got used to it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Agreed with sticking with cable. Electronics are nice (like EFI when it's below freezing out), but some things simple mechanical actuation does just fine.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:47 PM
Jon Wilder
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The great thing about Harley's TBW system is that you can install their factory cruise control by simply changing the left switch housing out with one that has the cruise control switch. The switch assembly uses 4 wire CAN bus so each switch sends a digital message to the ECU, making for a modular system.

I believe the handlebars need to be changed with bars that accept a twist grip sensor (TGS), along with the throttle body that accepts a throttle control actuator (TCA). The idle air control (IAC) motor gets deleted since the TCA now handles idle speed control. The ECU uses different drive outputs for each. Furthermore, I'm not sure if the ECU would have to be changed...this would be dependent on model year. Lastly, the harness may not have the wires for the TGS or the TCA, so wiring may need to be added.

This is definitely a project I plan to take on with a buddy's '14 Heritage Softail. In that model year, the CVO Softails had TBW so my guess is that they used the same harness across the Softail line. The harness probably has wiring for both an IAC and TCA, and they just use the connectors for the installed system while stowing any unused connectors. If they did and the ECU/firmware is the same as a '16 or later Softail, it should be an easy upgrade.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:26 PM
hdoilcan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jon Wilder
This is definitely a project I plan to take on with a buddy's '14 Heritage Softail. In that model year, the CVO Softails had TBW so my guess is that they used the same harness across the Softail line. The harness probably has wiring for both an IAC and TCA, and they just use the connectors for the installed system while stowing any unused connectors. If they did and the ECU/firmware is the same as a '16 or later Softail, it should be an easy upgrade.
Have you done this yet? If so how did everything turn out?

Old 04-03-2019, 08:38 PM
MuhFunkinDynuh
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m assuming your ecm or bcm is not equipped to run tbw. Your handlebars also have to be slotted for tbw.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:09 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,414 Likes on 4,018 Posts

Originally Posted by mike 09

Originally Posted by oct1949

Yeppers I know the 10's does.. when My Son got his new St Glide in 10 and I rode it,, I keep killing it at take offs several time afore I got used to it.
While true, it's because it's programed that way.

If you have a PowerVision Tuner ( I assume TTS & maybe a few other flash tuners can do it too) you can program that out. You can actually program the TBW response to be 1:1, which would give you a super sensitive, albeit twitchy, throttle response....

For your information.... Taken from the DynoJet web site...

Quick Reply: Converting cables to drive by wire??