Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

An amazing amount of fabrication and imagination. Very well done. Maybe I missed it, but have you added air ride or done something else to the rear suspension to compensate for all that extra weight?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Look familiar?

Haha when I first saw the pic, couldn't help it.

Great job on the McGivers!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks guys. Josewales you made me smile, that's good. The only thing I did was crank up the shocks. Most of the riding is two up so as soon as I got it I adjusted them. I haven't had any problems when we were loaded and out on trips. I am 5'8" and the better half is a lot shorter and neither of us weighs a lot so that probably helps. Pulling the trailer should be better than having all the weight on the bike on long trips also. Looking forward to getting some time to try it out on a little tour.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:59 AM
DEW2112
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love all these custom made parts! Here's a few of mine, rear luggage rack, radio splash cover and GPS mount on handlebar

Attached Thumbnails Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe-luggage-rack.jpg   Projects fabricated for my 08 Deluxe-radio-splash-cover.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

You did a nice job your luggage rack DEW2112. I don't have a GPS yot but that may come. It would have been nice a few times.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 AM
DEW2112
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You did a nice job your luggage rack DEW2112. I don't have a GPS yot but that may come. It would have been nice a few times.
Thanks for the compliment. A GPS is great for someone like me who was born with no sense of direction at all. LOL

Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM
phanowel
Cruiser

Great job on the fabrication. Oh, and you know you are hardcore if you paint a cooler black...

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

I couldn't find WWW tires for the trailer so I thought a black cooler with a white lid would have to do. It was red and about half way through painting it I thought thought,,,,, black may not be a good color for a cooler.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

I decided to change my stereo set up around,,,,,,just can't leave things alone. I moved my PBR300X4 amp to the downtubes on the frame. I couldn't find another place to put this amp. A machinist buddy milled me up a couple on ends for the amp out of aluminum. Between the two of us we got things drilled and tapped. The aluminum is siliconed where it's attached to the amp body. The aluminum blocks are hollowed out to allow room for the wires to the amp. I welded up some brackets for to clamp the amp to the downtubes and glued some rubber to them where they hold onto the frame. I drilled and tapped the aluminum blocks to bolt the brackets to.

Here is the amp mounted. Afted I mounted it I put a couple of layers of 1/2" weather strip so it totaled 1" thick at the face at the bottom of the amp. I put a line of grease on the weather strip and went for a gentle ride around the yard. I wanted to see if the fender would hit the weather strip and pick up some grease,,,,it did time to get back to the drafting table. plan "B" I made some brackets and attached them to the mounting ears on the fender which allowed me to move the fender down and ahead. More grease on the weather strip and another gentle ride,,,,no grease on the fender. Did a little more aggressive riding,,,,grease on the fender @#*!. On to plab "C" no one is going to like plan "C" I know I didn't. I cut off the mounting ears and drilled holes in the fender so I could lower it to where I hoped it would work. More grease and another ride this time I gould not get grease on the fender. I hated to do it but at least it worked.

I have four speakers two on the risers and two on the engine guards. I went to the Arctic Circle last summer and on the way home there was some metal fatigue on one of upper speakers. I got some new light housings and put the speakers in them, they are 4" two way. The bottom speakers are light housings but with 5 1/4" speakers. I had some 5 1/4" subwoofers in them last year but changed them out for 5 1/4" two ways. After about two rides I put the subwoffers back in. Heard much more of the music.

Sirius radio is nice to have.

I had the two way in when this pic was taken. The subs are yellow. The volume control is just to the left of the horn mounting bracket, but I want to change that later also.

I got the handle bar controls off a 98 Electra Glide Classic and put them on my bike. I want to use the volume control and the cruise if I put cruise on later. There is a forum brother seeing if he can come up with a way to make it work. That was fun changing all the wiring around, but that part is done and the bike started.

That's about it for the music,,,,this year anyway.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 07-10-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member

I am adding this thread to my projects thread. I kept my stock Deluxe risers because I had things bolted to them that I wanted to keep there. I went with Bikini Beach bars. They feel good when riding, but you do have to look off to the left or right to use the mirrors. Much different than stock. I always have the windshield on but took it off for the pics. The leather bag and speakers I have mounted to the risers show up a lot more with the windshield off. They look cluttered compared to some of the great looking bikes with beach bars, but we like to tour with the things mounted on them. If anyone is thinking of Beach bars and wants to keep their risers these pics may help you some on how it'll look.