Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffle removal from Samson true dual pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 PM
nickvango
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffle removal from Samson true dual pipes

Hi,
posted this in engine/exhaust forum but no responses, so thought i would try here ,

i just recently purchased a set of Samson True Dual Pipes (
True Dual Crossover w/ 2¼" Heatshields & 2 1/4" x 33" Slip-ons w/Removable Longtail Tips) for my 1995 Harley Nostalgia and had them shipped here to Australia and have been riding them for a few weeks now and "LOVE THEM". Such a fantastic set of looking and sounding pipes, been getting a lot of compliments and looks.

Have a couple of questions was hoping anyone here could answer for me please.

1. I had them installed by a mechanic and he tuned my carby to suit them with the baffles in. I have just recently removed the removeable baffles and love the sound even better. The bike still feels like it hasn't lost much low end torque, and the ride feels the same.
"Do i need to have the carby tuned again coz the baffles have been taken out?"

2.Since removing the baffles i have to go easy on the throttle when i ride (TO not make too much noise). As i ride in a large metropolitan city, i know that eventually i will get an overzelous cop who will defect the bike coz of the loud pipes. If i was ever to get a "defect notice(unroadworthy/noise ticket)", i have to take the bike to get inspected and meet the regulated noise levels.
"Is there any baffles i could purchase to slip in the tru duals ? to meet the low required noise levels" instead of me removing the whole set of pipes and puting back on my stock pipes and stock mufflers to the inspection.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers Nick.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
nickvango
Advanced

Anybody??

Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Maybe the existing baffles could be modified (drilled out) to give a little more sound.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have EFI so I don't know if this will help you or not. I have a new set of 39"'s sitting here on my living room floor. After the install it's going to a dyno. The Dyno guy is going to cut the baffle's to get the best tune as he can give me. I can tell you then what it sounds like with the whole baffle in it, then the cut baffle and then no baffle. The tune I get with a cut baffle in it, for me, will not require me to get it dyno'd again if I go to no baffle. It will be as close as can be IN MY CASE. If I had to guess I would think that the Samson baffle will have at least half of it cut off if not a little more in the Dyno/tuning process..It may be close to a month before everything is on and tuned, I can PM you then and let you know what's up with the pipes and it's sound in and at various levels volume. If I can sneak my bike into the plant I could get actual DB levels but that could prove tricky and costly if caught.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's some strict law's you've got over there, we do have similar law's but very rarely enforced to that degree, and mainly on sports bikes, they normally leave Harleys alone.