Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim - looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Softail Slim - looking for opinions

'13 Softail Slim.
So far most of the mods I've done have been cosmetic - I powdercoated the front end, risers, mirrors and levers, all gloss black.
Engine covers have been PC's a satin texture, which really matches the black denim.
Also added CD LED turns and an LED brake light.
And now I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the performance mods before spring: pipes, A/C, SERT & dyno.

I'm just a little undecided on which direction to go.
Fact is, I knew I wanted to black out the bike, I just don't want to "overcook" it.
As it is, I may go back to chrome for the aux. lights trims, risers and axle nuts.
I still have the stock pipes on, and I really like the contrast as is...

With that in mind, I'm already thinking about V&H Big Shots in chrome, with an S&S Super teardrop A/C, also in chrome.
I figure if I ever want to go all black alter, there's always powdercoat.
I contacted V&H about buying another set of heat shields in black, but the cost is too high for that to be an option...
Whattya think?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
dcdr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you want chrome pipes, just get them

Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You can tell why I'm biased based on my sig pic. But I'd say you're right on with black and just a tasty amount of chrome mixed in. Though I will say, if you're gonna do the total blackout, it looks better on denim than it does on vivid black.

I think the big thing about the Slim, and this is just my humble opinion, is it doesn't need to try too hard to look cool. The lines of the bike are so classic that changing them with drastic mods kinda makes it look like you wanted a different bike to begin with. Again, just my opinion.

Your bike looks super cool. I'm envious of the LED and am working with Custom Dynamics on a similar set up that retains the lines and vibe of the bike.

I think the biggest change -- visually -- is actually the SS treardrop you have planned. I believe someone else here has one on their Slim and you might want to check out those pics.

Underlying principals: Less is more when it comes to the beauty of the Slim, IMHO. And, it's your bike. Do whatever the hell makes you grin.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

I love the blacked out look as I have a fatboy lo and came off a night train. That being said I still like contrast. For my fatboy lo I'm going to black everything out except the engine. Going to leave the engine the satin chrome so it stands out like a jewel in the dark! Oh and still going to leave the gas caps and handle bars chrome too for a little contrast on top of the bike..

Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got a black Nightrain, went with a black S&S teardrop, but chrome pipes and bars etc, personally I think totally all black like some guys on here go with doesn't look to good.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
F22 Junky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black can be addicting, just dont overdo it, you need that little bit of shiney to make the black black.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Personally, in the first pics, the pipes really stick out. And to me, they need to be blacked, since most all of the bike is black. But that's me.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
elizer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think chrome pipes, a/c and maybe horn cover would do it good.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I think the biggest change -- visually -- is actually the SS treardrop you have planned. I believe someone else here has one on their Slim and you might want to check out those pics.
Yep, saw this one by GlennB yesterday.
That S&S just belongs on this bike IMO...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I like what you did so far, I have been into the black out look on the last 3 harleys I've owned. I like the touch of chrome from the exhaust system and AC cover. And the chrome touches of the light rings and axle nut covers would look great. Your bike makes me want one...

Quick Reply: Softail Slim - looking for opinions