Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" Ape Hangers on my 2013 Slim

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
RyanB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" Ape Hangers on my 2013 Slim

Guys, I am looking at installing the 12" Outlawz Apes on my new 2013 Harley Davidson Softail Slim. How hard is it to do the extensions needed? And where can I get those? Do I need a new riser and clamp? I'm being told the bike is too new for places to offers "complete kits" for it. Looking for some help and really appreciate any input.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
slim12
Tourer

Burly sells wire extension kits. I dont think its difficult to do. Theres tons of how to's out there and lots of help here on the forum.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
slim12
Tourer

also you shouldnt need new risers as long as the center of the bars are 1 inch

Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

For wire extensions the only way to go is Namz custom cycle they have a plug and play extension for your bike. No cutting,soldering,or splicing required. Just plug them in. Could not be any simpler.
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...kits_2011.html

Once you know how much longer you need to go with you Cables and brake line Magnumshielding has all you need in great quality stainless braided cables.
http://magnumshielding.com/

Last edited by Misbehaven; 03-25-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RyanB
Guys, I am looking at installing the 12" Outlawz Apes on my new 2013 Harley Davidson Softail Slim. How hard is it to do the extensions needed? And where can I get those? Do I need a new riser and clamp? I'm being told the bike is too new for places to offers "complete kits" for it. Looking for some help and really appreciate any input.

I used these guys for my wire extensions. Good Customer Service. Good product.
http://www.guerrillacables.com/2011_Softail.html

and I used these guys for my cables. Fill out the info fields and specify what bar and riser you're using and they take the guess work out of it and send you what you need. EXCELLENT customer service as well. I recommend them, and will use them again. I got a follow up call just to see if everything worked out good too. They also offer plug and play wire harnesses.

http://shop.hdbikeparts.com/Single-d...e-kit-CCKS.htm

Also as I side note when I took my Blackline apart I had ALOT of extra harness tied up and doubled over in there. I could of gone 8" rise with the stock harness POSSIBLY 10". Might want to take the tank off and check what you got if you're going to order a plug and play so you don't wind up with a ton of extra wiring trying to be shoved back under the tank upon install. A bit extra is good, a ton of extra is a pain in the *** to keep tucked up in there.

As far as being hard the plug and play harness is as easy as unplugging and plugging back in. There are some trick to internal wiring that will make the process a whole lot easier. I took a bicycle brake cable (availble at any local bicycle shop) and fed it up through the center hole at the bottom of the bars and brought it out the top. I tied the SMALL zip ties to the brake cable and the end of the stock wiring harness to pull back through the bars as a guide and keeping it from bunching up. Lil tug from the cable side and a lil push from the wire harness side and they'll go through pretty easy.

Good luck with the bar install.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM
RyanB
3rd Gear

Guys I really appreciate all the info and tips. I'll let everyone know how it goes and make sure that I post pics. Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
RyanB
3rd Gear

Alright guys, I finally have everything for my bar swap. I've read/watched a number of different videos and testimonials on proper ways to tackle the project but I'm still open for more suggestions. I was hoping to get away from having to take off the exhaust but it looks like I don't have a choice. If anyone has done this, what steps did you take in doing it and is there anything I need to look out for or make sure I don't do? Thanks again guys.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:09 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen a Slim yet but I know on my Heritage the right pipes had to come off to get the clutch case off. I have a manual but it's a fairly simple process.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RyanB
I was hoping to get away from having to take off the exhaust but it looks like I don't have a choice. If anyone has done this, what steps did you take in doing it and is there anything I need to look out for or make sure I don't do? Thanks again guys.
It has to come off man. Drain the trans first (otherwise your tranny fluid will drop when you loosen the bolts) or be prepared with a drain pan under it. It's not hard just a bit time consuming. When you put your exhaust back on (you may or may not need new gaskets) if you've never done a 1 piece exhaust before I'd probably recruit a buddy to help you align it during the install or you might smash up the gaskets on accident. Happens easy since they're pretty soft. When I put mine on which I've had off a few times I just walked it on back and forth little by little until both pipes sat up in the exhaust ports. On mine I was able to only take the rear O2 Sensor off and swing the pipe around out of the way while I changed the clutch cable. When reinstalling the O2 Sensor keep track how many turns it was taking it off and wind it up counter clockwise before you thread it back in so it's nice and relaxed and not twisted up by the time it's tight. The front head bolts if you have ABS you'll need an extension (i think I remember using a 6" and a 3" with a swivel to get one of the nuts off. One more tip that you probably thought of but easy to over look. Ride the bike until you're almost out of gas before you start the project. Less gas in the tank the better before you try to pull it. Lighter, less gas spilled when you unhook the cross over the better as well. If you have any questions about misc stuff feel free to PM me. Good luck with your install!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM
RyanB
3rd Gear

I actually never thought about the gas comment. Thanks for all the other pointers. I have two other guys helping me out (one has done bar swaps before). We are hoping to get it done in one night so I can enjoy the nice weather this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: 12" Ape Hangers on my 2013 Slim