Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer total rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Picked it up this morning. 80 mile ride home over some pretty bumpy **** and all seems as it should be.

I had them do the brakes since it was in there anyway and the total came to $1,100.00 parts a labor. I'm good with that. The service dept is closed today so was not able to talk to the wrench about what kind of problems he had.

The owner is the one that I dealt with this morning.He said he was told one of the things that slowed things down was when the wrench was tightening up the riser, the threads pulled out and he had to do a repair. He volunteered that info, I didn't ask.

Apparently when I originally switched out my stock wheel for the Fat Boy wheel, I didn't get the spacing correct so the offset was wrong. That buggered up a couple things causing them to have to round up some spacers and replace a couple things that normally never need replaced.

I don't feel I was charged for anything I shouldn't have been so "no harm, no foul" as far as I'm concerned. This was the first time I'd had my bike into this shop. I had a bad experience with their other store a couple of years ago and won't take it back there again.

Last edited by IronAss; 04-01-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Fesnl
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering you had the brakes done and you ordered extra parts + your mods on the front wheel, $1100 doesn't sound too outlandish..Barring some unforseen incident, you wont have to have it rechecked again until 5000 miles, which will only be re torque and fall away test (assuming they changed your neck bearing..which i hope they did) You should get at least 15-20 thousand miles before you need to think about doing it all again..the con of a springer front end. It's worth it tho.Springers rule, besides the obvious eye candy and the smooth ride, I don't think I could go back to telescopics.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Fesnl
Considering you had the brakes done and you ordered extra parts + your mods on the front wheel, $1100 doesn't sound too outlandish..Barring some unforseen incident, you wont have to have it rechecked again until 5000 miles, which will only be re torque and fall away test (assuming they changed your neck bearing..which i hope they did) You should get at least 15-20 thousand miles before you need to think about doing it all again..the con of a springer front end. It's worth it tho.Springers rule, besides the obvious eye candy and the smooth ride, I don't think I could go back to telescopics.
I do my own regular service anyway. Just didn't want to deal with rebuilding the whole thing. My bike has 66,000 miles on it now and this is the first time it's been totally torn into so I hope to get at least that much before I have to worry about it again.