Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 fatboy cam cover removal .

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Chongo1973
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 fatboy cam cover removal .

Hi new to the forum I can't stomach paying someone for so some thing I can do my self, and need to replace the cam cover gasket on my 1994 fatboy. Is it as simple as pulling the exhaust and the six bolts ? Or is it more than meets the eyes? Any feedback would be great.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 AM
HHFLHR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to remove the pushrods. If the bike still have the stock pushrods, you have 2 options.
Remove the rocker boxes and pull them out or cut them with bolt cutters and install "time savers".
Make the ignition sensor plate before you loosen it.
Since you have the cam chest open, I would replace the cam bearing to a Torrington if you have the stock ome. Depending on how many miles you have on the bike, it would be a good time to replace the lifters. If you keep the old lifters, you can use paper clips to pull them up from the lifter housing.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HHFLHR
You will have to remove the pushrods. If the bike still have the stock pushrods, you have 2 options.
Remove the rocker boxes and pull them out or cut them with bolt cutters and install "time savers".
Since you have the cam chest open, I would replace the cam bearing to a Torrington if you have the stock ome. Depending on how many miles you have on the bike, it would be a good time to replace the lifters. If you keep the old lifters, you can use paper clips to pull them up from the lifter housing.
???

All that to replace the cover gasket? Must be something different on those old bikes, because the newer ones just pull the cover off and change gasket. Might need to whack the cover with a deadblow to loosen it, but that's all there is to it. Wouldn't think you'd have to do a complete cam replacement on the older ones just to get the cover off......

Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 AM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HHFLHR

Huh?

Bob
1997 Heritage

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up no hu about it

HH is right on the money. On an evo and earlier motors(my experience goes from84 evo back to my 53Pan) the cams only support on the outside is the cam cover. You take it off without removing the push rods and the valve spring tension is on the push rods, which are directly on the lifters, which are directly on the cam. Not a good scenario and a wreck on the inner cam bearing. There are also two locator dowels holding the cover in place along with the bolts. Don't know where jre got you had to replace the cam but the inner bearing is good to change along with the lifters if you've got over 20k on the motor. The older lifters expose most of the cam follower and if they get a little loose the needle bearings fall out and that's not good. Trust me I know from experience and then you do get to do a complete cam job and pick parts out of the breather. When removing the cover pay attention to the breather shim that is only held on by a nub and likes to fall off. A dab of grease holds it on nicely when reassembly time comes.