Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballistic lithium battery junk

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:45 PM
redmosquito1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Captain, build one out of the A123 system batteries. Pretty easy to do if you have a high wattage solder iron. I built 2 using those cells from ebay with out issues, one went with my triumph daytona 675 and the other I use as a jump box. Lots of info on how to solder them up out there as mentioned before they were big in the RC world for a while.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
There are Lithium-Ion batteries and then there are Lithium-Iron batteries.

Ion is an older, less expensive technology and has some problems as Boeing found out.

The Lithium-Iron batteries that we sell do not have the issues the Ion batteries have.

Click HERE for more details.
Do you know the dimensions of the 480CCA battery? I'm interested in finding a battery that will allow me to tuck my PCIII somewhere on my 08 Ultra. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:08 AM
badpig173
Banned

I call bullsh!t on any lithium.. because even Scott from Antigravity sent me an email saying THEY AREN'T GOOD for our bikes.. see attached copy; so obviously you're just trying to see product.

Though we make a battery that will last longer than the Ballistic we do not suggest lithium for your use. Yes you will be able to get a smaller package, with more POWER for starting, but that comes with the trade off of LESS capacity. We don't want to blow smoke and say it’s the perfect product, it a great for starting. But there is the trade off of major POWER and compact size compared to a big Lead/Acid battery with more capacity to hold off being drained for a couple weeks compared to a week. So you can achieve better starting with lithium in a much smaller package, but you can't make up capacity when you have a much smaller battery.

I can tell you our larger battery will work for a little while longer than the Ballistic maybe a day or two, but I cannot give a definitive answer unless we know your exact parasitic amp draw. But even knowing that I don't suggest the lithium for bikes with stereos and alarms or things that create large parasitic drains UNLESS you are willing to keep them on the lithium maintenance charger which we understand is a big hassle. And eventually you may forget and drain it and ruin and expensive battery. Sorry for that news but that is just the reality of batteries at this point in time.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Regards,

Scott-

Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Chode4x4
1st Gear

Originally Posted by badpig173
just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the Ballistic lithium battery for Harley's.. do not waste your $$. I purchased one and installed it in my 2010 Fatboy Lo because it was smaller than OE and I wanted room for my Fuelpak under the seat. Once installed it worked fine for the first day; started the bike right up. Because of rainy weather I didn't start the bike for 6 days.. needless to say it didn't have enough juice to start the bike and after 3 clicks of the starter button, it was COMPLETELY dead.. wouldn't even light up the dash panel.. luckily i was able to get a full refund except the return shipping which ran over $20.00, the headache of getting a refund and removing and re-installing the old battery. definitely one of those products not worth a crap
+1 had same experience w that battery. Never even turned bike over once (they say it comes charged and ready to go). Sent it back. It might have a purpose in other applications but starting a larger Vtwin is not one of them.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Do you know the dimensions of the 480CCA battery? I'm interested in finding a battery that will allow me to tuck my PCIII somewhere on my 08 Ultra. Thanks.
Battery Dimensions and Weight:
SIZE (LxWxH) 4.25" x 3.25" x 5.25" (Height is measured to the top of the terminal bolt heads)
WEIGHT 3.2 lbs.
All the details on the battery are HERE.

Feel free to write or call with any questions.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by badpig173
I call bullsh!t on any lithium.. because even Scott from Antigravity sent me an email saying THEY AREN'T GOOD for our bikes.. see attached copy; so obviously you're just trying to see product.

Though we make a battery that will last longer than the Ballistic we do not suggest lithium for your use. Yes you will be able to get a smaller package, with more POWER for starting, but that comes with the trade off of LESS capacity. We don't want to blow smoke and say it’s the perfect product, it a great for starting. But there is the trade off of major POWER and compact size compared to a big Lead/Acid battery with more capacity to hold off being drained for a couple weeks compared to a week. So you can achieve better starting with lithium in a much smaller package, but you can't make up capacity when you have a much smaller battery.

I can tell you our larger battery will work for a little while longer than the Ballistic maybe a day or two, but I cannot give a definitive answer unless we know your exact parasitic amp draw. But even knowing that I don't suggest the lithium for bikes with stereos and alarms or things that create large parasitic drains UNLESS you are willing to keep them on the lithium maintenance charger which we understand is a big hassle. And eventually you may forget and drain it and ruin and expensive battery. Sorry for that news but that is just the reality of batteries at this point in time.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Regards,

Scott-
Not sure what your question was to Scott that elicited that response from him.

We have the batteries installed on 4 different shop bikes.

09 Sporty
00 Dyna
11 Bagger
12 Softail

The Bagger and the Softail have small parasitic drains (security systems)

This is a non-issue if you ride regularly, but if it is sitting for long periods, then a battery tender is a good idea, just like on lead acid batteries. (not sure why Scott said it is a big hassle...just the same as doing it for a lead acid).

They also both have have stereos. The bagger has a power point in the Tour Pak that I use for charging phones, video and camera batteries.

The longest I have run the (stock) stereo without the engine running is 5 hours. Made absolutely no difference in starting up the bike. I regularly use the powerpoint all night long with no issues.

There may be other issues, like a larger than stock sound systems that is used with the engine off, or other electronics that could make the lower amp hour batteries not appropriate.

But we're looking at 15-18 amp hours on the 16 and 20 cell batteries, that is more than enough for a stock Harley Twin Cam.