Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talked with JD...how hard is a Shotgun Shock install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Talked with JD...how hard is a Shotgun Shock install?

I am thinking about putting the Shotgun Shock on my CVO Breakout and I was wondering if the install is that difficult, or if anyone in the Chicago area has good info on a place to get the work done, or has done the job themselves.

After talking with JD for a little while, he made it sound pretty basic, but he wasn't 100% sure if the J&S jack was wide enough to do the install. I'm gonna call my dealer and pick their brains a little also.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
I am thinking about putting the Shotgun Shock on my CVO Breakout and I was wondering if the install is that difficult, or if anyone in the Chicago area has good info on a place to get the work done, or has done the job themselves.

After talking with JD for a little while, he made it sound pretty basic, but he wasn't 100% sure if the J&S jack was wide enough to do the install. I'm gonna call my dealer and pick their brains a little also.
C'mon now the guy with all the gas caps is gonna wrench?

Old 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
I have a very mechanically inclined friend.....

Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Toy_Jon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy install, very straight forward. Took me an hour to install.

Power and ground battery connections, air hose with quick connect, electrical to compressor connection all marked etc.

You'll love em highly recommend

Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It really is that easy. You don't need any special tools to do it. If you get stuck with a problem, ask this forum. Believe me, this forum will get you going. Or, just ask the man himself, JD. He's helped many forum members right over the phone. Good luck. It will be the best mod you will ever do to your bike...

Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never installed them myself. So I'll admit that upfront.

But I have to say I've seen multiple threads here where people are asking for help mid-install. So it can't be that easy for many.

And then I've seen a few threads of folks who have run into problems after the install and need help troubleshooting.

I don't say this to knock to the product. People obviously like it, and the installs ultimately work out, it seems.

But I really think folks tend to give optimistic evals of something when they have bought it themselves. I'd say expect it to be about 33 percent more difficult then people say it is.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dansax
This made me laugh so hard!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that hard. The hardest part is loosening the stock shock bolt. There are a few install threads on here for you to read. Just take your time.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Very easy, one to two hour install tops. Just pull the stock shocks mount the compressor mount the shotgun shock plug in and route some wires. I'm not sure where anyone could run into problems with it, the only hard part is breaking the bolts loose on the rear of the stock shocks, just hit them with heat and use hammer/wrench combo and they'll break loose.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you (or your friend) are mechanically inclined at all it should be fine. It is not a difficult install just take your time and as stated above this forum can help. Do your homework and decide where you're going to put your switches then go for it! The install instructions are on the shotgun site. I'm pretty sure I remember someone doing a shotgun install thread. I did a quick search but haven't found it yet.

http://www.shotgunshock.com/instructions.html

Quick Reply: Talked with JD...how hard is a Shotgun Shock install?