Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO console on my Deluxe...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default CVO console on my Deluxe...

Two things I hate; 1) the price of the MoCo's accessories & 2) being told by a parts monkey I can't do something! I like the upgraded consoles in the MoCo's accessories catalog better than the stock Deluxe console, just not the price. I think the Deluxe console is the ugliest console in their entire line-up! I'd rather go with a Sportster on-the-bars-all-in-one! The parts monkeys told me I could only use the 2-3 in the catalog specifically for my '08 Deluxe. I saw a couple of cool aftermarket consoles, but none that were currently available or finished (just raw steel). Then, I saw this picture...

I knew I had to have it! Again, the parts monkeys (who always know way more than I do!) said it wasn't possible. They said putting a console from a '10 or '11 CVO onto my '08 Deluxe was like trying to build something by mixing Legos & Tinker-Toys (google it you young bastards! ), challenge accepted!

Here is my '08 Deluxe butt-ugly stock console...

This is what it looks like unbolted and unplugged from the tank...

Using the parts list (thank you Ronnies!) I was able to surmise that the '10 & '11 CVO Softail Convertible had the console I was looking for. Since my eBay kung-fu is strong, I was able to score an almost complete console from an '11. Here is the bottom of the console...

You'll notice the bracket (71766-08) I had to order to secure the keyed switch from my bike onto the console. This replace the keyless unit that comes on the '11...

A few favors called in and a call to some guy in some secret CVO lab at HD confirmed that the cpu's are way different and the keyless unit would not mate up with my cpu. No worries as I like the keyed switch better anyway and having it saved more than a couple hundred $$$ by not having to swap out my cpu and entire wiring loom!

The only electronic part I had to buy was the bulb housing for the turn/oil/high-beam/neutral indicators. The console I got off of eBay had the indicator lense, just not the bulb housing with the pig-tail. The '10 has the same 8 pin pig-tail, so I ordered one...

The '11 console bottom is chrome, but has no hole for the odometer/trip meter reset button. The '10 console bottom(s) do have the hole, but only come in one of the 3 CVO paint colors, no chrome. Easy fix, drilled a hole...

The toughest part of this entire swap was the mounting bracket! In order to switch from the single bolt Deluxe console to the two bolt CVO console, the fuel pump mounting bracket (big gold colored plate bolted to the top of the tank) would need to be swapped. But, it is just a stupid piece of metal tack-welded on to hold the bolt(s). I ordered the correct bracket (71786-10 in the far right) and cut off the little mounting clip off the bottom of it. I was going to order the bolts for it, but since they were for a "CVO", they were $6 each!! Stupid HD logic, especially since they didn't even say "CVO" on them! So, instead, I had the parts monkey look up some chrome 1/4x20 1.25" bolts and he came up with some for $1.60 each (94386-92T). Other than the white baggy, they were identical. Unbelievable! Here is the old single console bolt and the new two-hole mounting bracket...

Using my superior "el-cheapo" superpowers, I fabbed up a couple of brackets using 4 speed nuts...

...and two small brackets from the hardware section...

...of which I bent in the vise to make about a 1/2" drop. Using aluminum duct tape to hold the HD bracket underneath the homemade brackets, I bolted it all to the tank bracket with two 1/2" bolts. I lined up the console and the chrome 1.25" bolts lined up! The entire bracket thingy ran about $15, including the HD part and 2 bolts. A lot cheaper than swapping out the fuel pump/tank bracket at $150+!! Doesn't look like a CVO caliber part, but hey, it works...

All said & done, I figure less than $250 total. I have a few left over parts I can eBay like the keyless module (that HD sells for $80+) and the original console. YMMV. But still, 1) I did it cheaper than the $300 for one of the HD accessory items, 2) I'll be the only kid on my block with the CVO console and, 3) can go show the parts monkeys that (again) they don't know ****!

Finished product...

Gratuitous fluff shots...

Last edited by yzergod; 01-08-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! Now... can you send me one.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that's looks good! Way better than stock. I wish I had those kinda skills. Instead, I was the dumb kid that could only build walls with Legos.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 PM
BMM48
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that looks awesome and way better than stock. Impressive work and great write up. Got me thinking now!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
prldrm
Tourer

Fck ya! You showed those parts monkeys real good.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 PM
509Rider
Road Master

Nice work

Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Cool story bro. Looks good.

Last edited by load97; 07-02-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 AM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like an awesome mod-Congrats!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM
SUUIE
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F...ing brilliant!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for all the props! I'm one of those guys who are never satisfied with stock! time to slam it!

Quick Reply: CVO console on my Deluxe...