Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Flying too low
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust question

I want to put new V&H big radius on my new Breakout. Dealer says they are on back oreder but the pipes for the Rocker will work with adapter for o2 sensor. It that set really ok. Also said they will not install unless I use screaming eagle race tuner rather than V&H fuel PAC. Please give thoughts on both. Price came to about 1650 with screaming eagle heavy breather. How HP gain do you think I should see with that set up? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Well, I wouldn't do either the H-D tuner or the FuelPak. PCV or Powervision from Fuelmoto would be the way to go. I would also think long and hard about getting pipes that weren't made specifically for my bike. JMHO. The Heavy Breather and those pipes will look great on your Breakout. Heavy Breather or the V&H version is on my wish list.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How handy are you with a wrench? An exhaust swap is about a 2 hour job if you don't know what you're doing, 60-90 if you do, and most of that is trying to remember where you put the right extension for your socket wrench to reach that annoying exhaust flange nut on the rear cylinder. It's a pretty straight forward job, you'll just have to spend the extra $6.80 or whatever it is for new exhaust gaskets.

V&H fuel pak is fine for V&H exhausts..but if you ever want to change out your exhaust to something non-V&H you may run in to issues.. a Power Vision or Power Commander (or any number of other ECM fuel management systems out there) would work better.

But for the dealer to say "We won't do it unless you use an HD tuner".. i would say "No thanks" right there.

Also, how hellbent are you on the big radius pipes? There are several other exhaust manufacturers that make pipes with a similar curve but a bit of a different style now..

just an example from Samson:

http://www.samsonusa.com/S3-961.html

Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I say install the pipes yourself and get a power vision if you plan on tuning it yourself. If you are going to have a shop dyno it go with what they recommend and are comfortable tuning with, Harley dealers may have a dyno but most can't tune for ****, find a good indy. Another economical option is a set of xied's, they are cheap and work well for what they are.

Last edited by Uncle Chester; 07-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:24 AM
jjgi5150
Intermediate

Jeff,

I, and many, many others are running the standard 2013 SOFTAIL V&H BR 2-2 pipes (#26059) on our '13 Breakouts. They fit flawlessly, and DO NOT need a O-2 sensor adaptor. The bung fitting on the 26059 pipe is the CORRECT size for the '13 Breakout sensors. This topic has been around for quite a while since the release of the Breakout.

Nobody seems to understand why V&H is taking so long to get out a specific set of pipes for the Breakout, or for that matter, why they even feel they need an special set. The calls I made in to V&H about this very issue were answered in less than direct answers and a lot of sidestepping. That was why I elected to try the 26059 pipes. I am glad I did not wait. I, and apparently everyone else who have run the 26059 pipes, have not had any issues at all regarding fitment, performance or anything...

As for the fueling, I went with a DJ Power Vision and a high flow K&N type filter from FuelMoto, and I could not be happier. The PV is simple, reliable, and actually fun to work with. I got a great starting map from Jamie at FuelMoto and adjustments are very easy..if you would even need any adjustment.

Good luck with your situation.

JJ

Last edited by jjgi5150; 07-06-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by jjgi5150
Jeff,

I, and many, many others are running the standard 2013 SOFTAIL V&H BR 2-2 pipes (#26059) on our '13 Breakouts. They fit flawlessly, and DO NOT need a O-2 sensor adaptor. The bung fitting on the 26059 pipe is the CORRECT size for the '13 Breakout sensors. This topic has been around for quite a while since the release of the Breakout.

Nobody seems to understand why V&H is taking so long to get out a specific set of pipes for the Breakout, or for that matter, why they even feel they need an special set. The calls I made in to V&H about this very issue were answered in less than direct answers and a lot of sidestepping. That was why I elected to try the 26059 pipes. I am glad I did not wait. I, and apparently everyone else who have run the 26059 pipes, have not had any issues at all regarding fitment, performance or anything...

As for the fueling, I went with a DJ Power Vision and a high flow K&N type filter from FuelMoto, and I could not be happier. The PV is simple, reliable, and actually fun to work with. I got a great starting map from Jamie at FuelMoto and adjustments are very easy..if you would even need any adjustment.

Good luck with your situation.

JJ
I can confirm that the 26059 VH 2X2's fit quite well on the Breakout. I can also confirm that the dealer flash is a complete waste of time. Once I put the pipes and A/C (SE Heavy Breather) on, I had a LOT of decel and between shift popping. Part of the deal with the sale of the bike was that they would also flash the ECU for me. Flashed, and made absolutely no difference. Wednesday I went ahead and called Fuelmoto and ordered a PCV. Seriously, don't waste your money on the dealer flash..

Old 07-06-2013, 05:55 AM
jeffc68
Tourer

I wouldn't go with the race tuner or fuel pac. Get the Power Vision it is more money but worth it in the long run.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 AM
davesvn007
Advanced

I am not necessary new to wrenches but I'm not mechanic. I was able to do the whole stage 1 upgrade myself, fairly easily. Air cleaner was a piece of cake. Pipes were straight forward as well. Probably the only tricky parts were getting to the rear O2 sensor (I just pulled the battery and it was easy) and figuring out how to get the old gaskets out. They appeared to be part of the exhaust opening, so I had to pry at it until it loosened and came out. Other than that, just remove and replace w/new. My tuner was easy as well, just snap onto injectors and O2 connectors, and ground. Definitely not a hard job to do yourself.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

I have what you're talking about getting. But I let the dealership do mine. If bikes were as simple as they were when I had my old bikes, I would have done it myself, just like back then but they're not.

As for the tuners, you're talking to a dealership and of course they're going to push their parts over another. You shouldn't be surprised.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Bwensel
2nd Gear

I've Been looking at the same issues. Im going with screaming eagle heavy breather, VH big radius, and RC Components RCXellerator computer. RC Components brought a breakout into there shop last week and confirmed the computer works with the breakout and they measured for their big radius pipes. But I'm impatient and want pipes on my breakout so I ordered VH big radius. VH told my dealer to order them through a reseller, not from VH, they said they will get back orders filled faster.

Last edited by Bwensel; 07-06-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: exhaust question