Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Cruise Control on 2012 Hertiage Softail Classic...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 AM
oscar621
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Cruise Control on 2012 Hertiage Softail Classic...

After reading many of the posts on here about "Softail Cruise Control" I decided to look into it for my 2012 FLSTC. My right hand was going numb on long rides and I have never really cared for the mechanical type throttle locks, including the star wheel lock that comes on the bike.

With the introduction of the CANBUS system on the 2011 FLSTC, it makes using one of the Customized Cycles kits impossible if you want factory switch housings as the switch housings are completely different. Dale @ Cruisemount, LLC does offer kits for 2011/2012/2013 but I am too cheap to spend that much. But I wasn't giving up at this point.

It is possible to install the 70955-04 (slightly modified to accept longer cable from Magnum Shielding) module on the 2011/2012 models with a mount from dale @ Customized Cycles, a longer cruise cable, (If you prefer to mount the module in original location like the road king with a chrome cover you can buy mount & cover from dale @ Cruisemount, LLC and still use factory cruise cable), Harley auxiliary switch housing (70248-02B), cruise on/off switch (71752-08), radio switch kit (71717-02) and a little ingenuity.

I used a harley factory harness (slightly modified by me) (70141-97) from a road king that I purchased on eBay. My dealer was kind enough to copy schematics for the road king so I could get the wiring correct in regards to colors and pinouts. I did purchase a service manual for my bike from them as well so I could see where to tap in for tach, speed sensor & power.

All connections to factory harness & road king cruise harness were made with Deutsch connectors & di-electric grease. To look at the wiring you would swear it was factory as I even used the same type of loom as the factory harnesses use. The only two places I had to tap into original factory harness were at ECM for Tach & Speed Sensor input, and I pulled the wires out of harness plug and soldered my wire to them and then covered them with heat shrink from the radio switch kit. The only parts used that were not factory Harley was the mount, cruise cable and red & green LED's for indicator lights - they were way cheaper from Radio Shack than from Harley/eBay.

I will post pics if anyone is interested. My total cost was under $400 since I got most of the parts on eBay. I have bought a few extra radio switch kits as they are getting scarce to use for spare parts in the future, otherwise I would not have told you the part number & where to find them . I did have to use the tune switch caps from the radio kit instead of being able to use the cruise on/off & set/res as they are too big to fit the auxiliary housing, but I am still trying to find someone who can relabel the ones I have.

I did not install the idle cable with roll-off switch as it seems that is the problem 99% of the time when people ask about the cruise not working, instead I used the radio volume/tune switch as it has 4 wires, momentary both ways just like the set/res switch, but when you push the switch in it mutes the radio or changes mode on radio, so it also with act as a cruise kill switch which is just as easy to use as a throttle roll-off switch, at least for me anyway. I accept full responsibility for not installing a idle cable with roll-off switch, as this is my personal preference. I have over 2000 miles on my cruise with no problems at all.

A BIG THANK YOU goes out to Dale @ Customized Cycles and Dave @ Cruisemount, LLC for their help with this project. Both took time out of their busy day to answer any questions I had and this would not have been possible without their knowledge & patience.

Last edited by oscar621; 02-20-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM
sp9997
Tourer

Paragraphs help !!!! Ever heard that ?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM
oscar621
Advanced

Oops...My bad. I am a mechanic, not a writer...LOL. Hopefully this is a little better now...

Steve

Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 AM
kdfoster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just downsized from a Ultra to a Heritage. I love my new ride, but I sure miss not having a cruise control.
I just don't understand why Harley, or some other company can't come up with a reasonable price cruise control that's easily installed.
The pricey makeshift cruise controls, and what you did shouldn't be necessary.
Why does Harley refuse to make cruise control for softails? They did it on a cvo softail a couple of years ago.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM
sp9997
Tourer
Default Much better.

Originally Posted by oscar621
Oops...My bad. I am a mechanic, not a writer...LOL. Hopefully this is a little better now...

Steve
Much Better...actually I tried to read your without paragraph version twice before giving up .... The info you provided is much better thanks. Now does this cruise control only work on the canbus HD models or older ones as well? under 400 is not bad deal for a working cruise control (not throttle lock)

Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 AM
oscar621
Advanced

Since the Softail is not a "touring" bike I guess they believe it is not required, but explain the softail convertible CVO? I know it has TBW like new touring bikes but the CVO Softail is $10,000+ more than a standard softail. I still don't understand why they don't add cruise as an option to just about any bike. If a dumb guy like me can figure it out, then I am sure Harley could do it as well. Until then we will just have to do our own mods. I was even told by dealer that this would not void warranty as I used Factory Harley parts.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 AM
oscar621
Advanced

Originally Posted by psuchit
Much Better...actually I tried to read your without paragraph version twice before giving up .... The info you provided is much better thanks. Now does this cruise control only work on the canbus HD models or older ones as well? under 400 is not bad deal for a working cruise control (not throttle lock)
This is the same as the old ones except the switches and wiring is different to avoid interfering with the CAN wire harness. I used a cruise module from a 2007 road king and just had to work around not being able to install the switch housings with cruise switches on lower housing.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 AM
JRL1164
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. Can we get some pictures? I would love to do this as well. I did some research a while back up without being able to find sufficient information I scrapped the idea. Now I a pretty mechanic savvy guy but not so much with motorcycles. Can you do a more descriptive write write up. More of a step by step thread? That'd be great I'm sure some other Heritage guys like this idea.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I would love cruise on my Heritage. Great write up, thanks.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Pics and a step by step would be great. I followed what you said, but wouldn't be comfortable trying it without more detail. I hope the wife never sees this, if she finds out there's a reasonably priced solution I'll be grounded till she gets one.

Quick Reply: Harley Cruise Control on 2012 Hertiage Softail Classic...