Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is air ride worth the expense?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
As far as Air shocks, They ARE probably a little better ride, but, I'am not unhappy with the stock ride and I think a lot of people have them more for just the COOL factor.
Probably? ..a little?
I'm thinking Definitely, and a LOT.
If you've ever ridden on one, there wouldn't be any doubt...

I think there's a little more to them than just the "cool factor".
If anyone bought an air shock system just so they could slam them in parking lots well, they've totally missed the point...

Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Nothing,, IMHO.. Just make sure U have them adjusted for Ur weight.

Just two weeks ago 4 of my friends and I did a 4 day trip down to the Dragon.
We rode almost 10hrs a day on all four days and about 1500 miles total, 95% back roads, very little interstates.

At 64 and with my bad back (shattered L-3 yrs ago) and messed up right Knee, I just took a couple Aleves in the morning and didn't have pain one the whole trip and I still have stock shocks.

I will add I just added a set of HD Hi-way pegs for that trip.. Now, I Wish I had added them Yrs ago to my bike on all the trips I've taken.
With them, They took all the pressure off my Knees, Hip's and back because I could stretching out and change position a lot more VS having to keep Ur feet on the Floor Boards all the time. They are a really Big help.

As far as Air shocks, They ARE probably a little better ride, but, I'am not unhappy with the stock ride and I think a lot of people have them more for just the COOL factor.

As one member in here that just installed Air Shocks, said last week,
(Nothing like pulling in somewhere and then hitting the switch to bottom Ur bike out.
Then watch and lesson to all the - OOHS and AAHS when all the people say "How Cool is that")...

Air shocks are a LOT better. The wife and I both have bad backs and the stock shocks where OK, better than the '06 Sporty with progressives on it that we had, but with the installation of the SS it is like riding on a magic carpet. The sharp jolts and bumps we use to feel are no GONE
Now I have to install the Progressive Mono-tube front suspension to make our bike perfect.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
dylan199
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO you don't need air ride if you ride solo 100% of the time. Stock shocks are perfectly fine.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:58 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Like Others said, for Solo or Stock Height, you are perfectly fine with Stock shocks.
A set of used 'Progressive 422' would be a cheap great alternative for an even more improved ride (at stock height) or moderate rear drop (1").

If you want to go slammed and/or change height occasionally , hunt the used section for a set of JD's shocks, you can save a couple hundred dollars, usually guys who leave Softails to Touring bikes will sell those separately, or just get them straight up from JD, his prices are great for the forum members.

This is my summary of experiencing stock/lowering blots/422/JD ShotGuns.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no comparison between the Shotgun Shock and any other air ride system and when compared to stock? Well, you just can't. I paid attention to what I was doing one day and I caught myself adjusting the air 15, 20 times a day. Going from stock to the SS is like going from a Mac truck to a Bentley. The "cool factor" is just a side benefit. The real improvement and benefits comes in comfort and added safety features. There is little on my bike that has not been touched and upgraded and I LOVE the apes and the all internal wiring that has just been done to my bike but the SS is still my #1 mod. It takes riding to a whole new level. I guess any air ride ride system is better than stock but none of them out on the market today is in the same category as the SS. I have finally educated myself on the differences between 1 over the others and there is truly a huge difference in engineering, features and function. On top of all of those benefits add to it the LIFETIME warranty on every part of the system and the customer service you get from JD and it's unmatched. The cost? Worth every penny. It's like going down the road on a lazy boy. I'm, also tired of the piling on from people who has never ridden on one or who doesn't have one so save it. Many people who used to ride me now has them on their bikes and feel the exact same way as I do.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan199
IMO you don't need air ride if you ride solo 100% of the time. Stock shocks are perfectly fine.

If you weigh less than 200 lbs and ride solo 100% of the time the stock shocks will do an okay job.

If you weigh more that 250, like me, the stock shocks don't make the grade. Progressive 422's are the way to go, if you ride solo 100% of the time and you don't want/need to quickly raise and lower the ride height.

If you and your passenger come in at under 300 lbs, the you can get away with Progressives but you will miss out on the quick ability to compensate for the passenger weight.

I ride solo, if that were to change then Shotguns.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,712 Likes on 5,221 Posts

HD put standard shock on we take them off an put on air.
Hd puts Air shocks on we take them off and put on standard shocks.
This is a never ending game of do the opposite of what HD does.
Air shock are junk to some and heaven to others just depends n how you think.
The air shock on all my touring bikes were great. The only reason I changed them was to lower the bike a bit. Using Progressive that so many rant about ,good shocks but no better ride.
You just need to figure out what you want.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM
dave13smr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air ride

I put a shotgun air shock on my bike couldn't be happier. my heritage is the best handling and riding bike I have ever owned. it's not all about the cool factor of slamming your bike to the ground it works. I was a tool & die maker this shock was built right. check the others they don't compare not even close. it may coast a little more than others, you get what you pay for. this system is fail proof, if you blow an air line the system keeps its air. the safest system on the market.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dylan199
If you put it that way, a 100% stock bike is perfectly fine for most people too.
But how many of those are there around, really?

Fact is, I really enjoyed my first long ride on the SS's today, and loved how when I went from a stretch of perfect, like new blacktop to another 5 mile stretch of crap, I just reached down and tapped the switches to adjust the rebound for a little extra cushion without stopping. Flawless.

Last edited by jam436; 09-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No pre-sets so no need to settle for almost good enough.
Instant adjustment while riding allows the ride you want at your finger tips.
Taller than stock if you decide you want more ground clearance or lean angle, plus the slammed look many seem to think is the only purpose one would pay for an air system.

Quick Reply: Is air ride worth the expense?