Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads....No squeal / long life?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
Greabert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads....No squeal / long life?

Of the last 2 sets of brakes I've run one lasted a long time but squealed the entire time I ran them. The other set didn't squeal at all but only lasted a fairly short time. Beings it's a bit of a pain to replace the rear pads I wondered if anyone knew of a brand of pads that had a long life and also didn't squeal? TIA

Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Over the years I've tried many different brands of brake pads but found that OEM Harley pads are sufficient for my needs. I've made it a practice that when changing a rear tire, I also replace the rear pads if they're worn 50 percent or more. Brake pads are relatively inexpensive and in my opinion the most important component on the bike. Some would say that I'm replacing them prematurely but it's pennies for safety.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Greabert
Cruiser

Thx for the response. I agree it's a real good time to replace the rear pads as long as the wheel is off and if the pads are considerably worn down. The original equip HD pads I used a few sets back did squeal some but not that bad. They lasted almost 30k as well which for my riding style isn't too shabby. Maybe there's no such thing as a pad that doesn't squeal at least some and have a long life.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Lyndall pads and they do not make any noise and are low dust. Very happy with them.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM
MCCHP
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ebc p/n fa400h

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

When mine made noise my stealership replaced them with new HD pads and an anti-vibration kit (?). Stopped it so far.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tracey87
I have Lyndall pads and they do not make any noise and are low dust. Very happy with them.
I use the Lyndall Gold front and rear and very happy with the stopping power, no squeal, and very little dust.

Glad I didn't change the front and rear at the same time because they took a couple of days to bed in and reach their full stopping performance.

After struggling with the rear pads at first, I now have the knack and find them just as easy as the front.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Greabert
Cruiser

I'm going to order a set of Lyndall pads and give them a try. Sounds like what I'm looking for in a brake pad. Thx guys

Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I always run Lyndalls also. No squeaking. Got them here in the stock, the z Plus variety. best price around too. Give me a call.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Greabert
Of the last 2 sets of brakes I've run one lasted a long time but squealed the entire time I ran them. The other set didn't squeal at all but only lasted a fairly short time. Beings it's a bit of a pain to replace the rear pads I wondered if anyone knew of a brand of pads that had a long life and also didn't squeal? TIA
Lyndall for me...used them on 3-4 different bikes and never had a problem. I've also used EBC Kevlar with good results.

Quick Reply: Brake pads....No squeal / long life?