Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 PM
tphykitt
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to put longer fork tubes on my breakout. Does anybody know the stock length of the fork tubes now?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Calvelli
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys new member here that almost bought the 2017 Breakout this Spring but word has gotten out that the 2018's might come with the Milwaukee 8 engines. Any thought?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadstrdude
Mods done to a Fatboy rear quick release rack.... welded in a section... and expanded the reach across the fender... then powder coated.... now fitting a HD bag for trips...
Very nicely done on the rack!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:07 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tphykitt
I want to put longer fork tubes on my breakout. Does anybody know the stock length of the fork tubes now?

Get fork tubes for a Dyna Wide Glide (FXDWG) - straight swap and will be 2.5" longer. but you don't need to do this if you simply upgrade your fork springs and dampers, per my DIY write up at top of softail forum.

the reason you want longer fork tubes is because you hate the early peg scraping in corners and nose dive on braking right? the suspension upgrade fixes all of that.

Anyway see this website for someone who already did the wide glide fork tubes mod. http://breakoutowners.forumotion.com...ension-upgrade

The following users liked this post:
tphykitt (03-18-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Calvelli
Hey guys new member here that almost bought the 2017 Breakout this Spring but word has gotten out that the 2018's might come with the Milwaukee 8 engines. Any thought?
don't know about 2018 but eventually all softail / dynas will come with the M8. it's HD's next evolution. Wonder what the sporty's will be getting? that motor is really hard to improve on...

Calvelli (03-15-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadstrdude
Mods done to a Fatboy rear quick release rack.... welded in a section... and expanded the reach across the fender... then powder coated.... now fitting a HD bag for trips...
Man, that looks great. Nice job.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:34 PM
tphykitt
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Get fork tubes for a Dyna Wide Glide (FXDWG) - straight swap and will be 2.5" longer. but you don't need to do this if you simply upgrade your fork springs and dampers, per my DIY write up at top of softail forum.

the reason you want longer fork tubes is because you hate the early peg scraping in corners and nose dive on braking right? the suspension upgrade fixes all of that.

Anyway see this website for someone who already did the wide glide fork tubes mod. http://breakoutowners.forumotion.com...ension-upgrade
I want more of a 'chopper' look but also better cornering. I am unsure what the longest I can go is without really messing up the ride.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I want more of a 'chopper' look but also better cornering. I am unsure what the longest I can go is without really messing up the ride.
If you want more of a chopper look, you'll need to change the triple trees and add rake, adding longer tubes will just raise the front end and screw with the handling...

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-19-2017 at 01:37 AM.
tphykitt (03-26-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:37 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

I'm thinking of installing these:

https://www.denniskirk.com/cycle-vis...akout-fxsb.mmy

The site says these don't fit the BO but having already been inside my 2014 BO forks, I respectfully disagree.

For the look you're after, these plus a 3" tank lift will give you that look IMHO.

Here is a pic of my ride with the 3" lift but without the extensions:

tphykitt (03-26-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 03:38 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Unfortunately, if you chop it, as Rocker B said, it will screw with the handling.
FXDWG tubes will raise the front up a bit but it will also mess with the handling. there is really no need if you get rid of the cr@p stock innards in the forks.

Good news- we have already done the thinking and hard work for you on what works well. See the DIY suspension upgrade thread at top of softail section for the parts and process- e,g, new dampers and springs. and then get some decent tires like Pirelli, Metzeler and a 120/70 front . the stock tires are a major part of the handling problem.

if you do the front suspension upgrade drop the rear end 1.25" with some adjustable shocks, install good tires, your bike will rip as good as any softail can and you'll get rid of the common handling / early scraping issue inherent with all stock Breakouts.

don't forget to unscrew the useless peg feelers

tphykitt (03-26-2017)

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread