Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Oz on the block

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Michael Finnigan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Oz on the block

G'Day guys
Just brought my first Harley (finally), a 2007 Softail Custom. It has V&H Short Shot exhaust and performance air cleaner(not sure which). I get the bike in a few weeks and wandering what steps are first in christening the beast with more power. I'm not ready $$$$ to bore out and start messing to much with the engine. After reading the forums I would like an overall raise in power but maybe a little more towards the low rpm range. What do you guys suggest? Cams? PC? Xied? And what is it achieving/Doing mechanically Reading things can get pretty confusing for the newbie, but really want to understand and be able to work on my bike.

Any other help or advice greatly appreciated

Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Depends how much money you want to spend and what sort of gains you're expecting. Big $$$ to you might be small to some one else or vice versa. If you're just looking for the next bang for buck I'd go cams but then you need it tuned and there's more money. If it was me I'd save the money and do a stage 3 or 4 kit and be done with it.

Where abouts in oz are you?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Michael Finnigan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ink83
Depends how much money you want to spend and what sort of gains you're expecting. Big $$$ to you might be small to some one else or vice versa. If you're just looking for the next bang for buck I'd go cams but then you need it tuned and there's more money. If it was me I'd save the money and do a stage 3 or 4 kit and be done with it.

Where abouts in oz are you?
I'm in Melbourne. I'm looking at up to and around the $1500 mark to start with, just got the bike so little light on right now. I read some threads talking about upgrading to 255 cams and installing a PC, Xied or SELV. And getting 10-15 HP more in low range. I know it's not a lot but may still enhance the ride

Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

$1500 should be plenty for what you're looking at.
That would also buy a nice nitrous setup installed. Gain another 30hp whenever you want to play

Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 AM
Michael Finnigan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ink83
$1500 should be plenty for what you're looking at.
That would also buy a nice nitrous setup installed. Gain another 30hp whenever you want to play
Will the PC or Xied help to cool it down then? Do you know much about how it tricks the O2 sensors? Also come across a thunder max setup, bit more expensive but seams to have good reviews?

Where abouts are you based?
Cheers for the help
Mike

Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

I personally haven't had any experience with any of the fuel management systems so I can't help you there with any more info then you would of already read online. Hopefully somebody else might be able to chip in here?

Home is Gold Coast, but I've been chilling out up in north QLD for the last 6 months

Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome. Good to see the OZ numbers growing.
Get a Dynojet Powervision tuner. It will be able to handle all present and future mods as well as having some great features.
There are some great bike tuners in Melb.
Post some pics of the new bike.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Michael Finnigan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by S.D.M.F
Welcome. Good to see the OZ numbers growing.
Get a Dynojet Powervision tuner. It will be able to handle all present and future mods as well as having some great features.
There are some great bike tuners in Melb.
Post some pics of the new bike.
G'Day mate
Get the bike in a couple of months. Importing it. As soon as I do will be putting up some picks, of course after changing the Fugly seat and probably changing the drag bats for apes. I'm probably pre empting the mods and will ride it for a bit first but pretty wrapped at the moment so checking out everything.

So you would go with the Dyno jet rather than the thunder max? I don't really like the idea of the video screen thou, does it always have to be visable, plugged in?

You in Melbs too?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

The Dynojet Powervision doesn't need to be plugged in all the time.

http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/

I plug mine in to flash the ECU or look at real time settings. Has a auto-tune feature. Can show fault codes. Heaps of cool stuff.

Yeah in North part of Melb.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the crew! Good folks and info here.
Congrats on your new ride. Does it have an aftermarket tuner on it? Might be the place to start unless the previous owner had it richened up so it's not running too lean...better for the motor and better for the rider...
There are a bunch of good aftermarket plug in tuning modules to look at. Some simple, some not. I run a cobra tuner with the 02 sensors, runs great, never any ping, decel pop or detonation, and runs cooler.

Quick Reply: New Oz on the block