Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shocks for improved comfort and handling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:25 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,961 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Hi, do you say this from actual personal experience? Have you tried a performance spring shock vs Shotgun?

Thanks, it would be cool if people with real life experience were able to give me some feedback.
Yes I have slimjim.Progressive shocks were the first thing I did to my bike.Yes there was a definate improvement but not to the degree your looking for. Like I said there is no way you will get what your looking for with a spring shock.I fought the urge for years getting the SS riding on Arnott's air system till it failed and no longer available for softy's.Like I said some guys in your neck of the woods have SS. ink83 and rocker dan on here along with others from down under are who you need to try and get in touch with. G.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:08 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
That seems to be the biggest misconception.
Anyone who buys a Shotgun "just" to look cool, is really missing the point of it IMO.
There's a little more to it than just that.

You wouldn't even know I had one on mine, I run it right around stock height most of the time.
Best comfort? There's none better. Period.
Ok thanks.

Can you tell me what the rebound capabilities of the shock is like? One of the other guys says he just installed shotgun and it was like a trampoline bouncing up and down?

Old 03-30-2014, 01:10 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser

Originally Posted by soft 02
Im looking into Works shocks for my softail. Custom for your weight and how you ride.
Thanks for the reply. I'd love to know how the Works shocks compare to the Racetech softail shocks. Those are the 2 I'm leaning toward mostly.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluraven
First let me say I don't mean to slam Shotgun Shocks. From the thousands of positive post out there apparently JD produces a quality product and no doubt provides quality service.

But practically every post I've read here about suspension recommendations seems like Shotgun Shock supporters take over the discussion.

I may very well be joining the Shotgun Shock club soon, but what Slimjim was asking is for non-air ride options that improved riding comfort.

As with Slimjim, I'm interested in what can provide the best riding comfort at the best price. I'm not interested in "slamming" my bike or anything to do with the "cool factor".

So, what product out there provides the best riding comfort?
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I just don't think I can be convinced into getting a shotgun system, even if they are as good or slightly better that conventional type shocks. The cost is a factor too - the shotguns are more than double the price of works and race tech shocks and triple the cost of progressives.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

....And as twice as good as the 1st and 3 times as good as ther 2nd. You get what you pay for. I find it so hard to believe that people can judge something when they have never used it or riddin on or a bike with one on there. It's this simple, there is nothing out there in any way shape or form that can even come close to the SS. Pricey? Yes. Worth every penny yes.

It is one thing if person can not afford one, hell, I have been there before. I went years without even riding or owning a bike because I was raising 2 kids on my own. I don't say much about it anymore but I will say this. I caught allot of crap a few years back because of how I supported it. Now? Nearly all of those guys and gals have one on their bikes now too! It add's comfort, safety, looks and a $hit load of fun to riding, period!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 AM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

Hook, line and sinker.....

Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
First let me say I don't mean to slam Shotgun Shocks. From the thousands of positive post out there apparently JD produces a quality product and no doubt provides quality service.

But practically every post I've read here about suspension recommendations seems like Shotgun Shock supporters take over the discussion.

I may very well be joining the Shotgun Shock club soon, but what Slimjim was asking is for non-air ride options that improved riding comfort.

As with Slimjim, I'm interested in what can provide the best riding comfort at the best price. I'm not interested in "slamming" my bike or anything to do with the "cool factor".

So, what product out there provides the best riding comfort?
I only posted about air ride after he asked more about it.

If you want the best comfort and price and have no intention of lowering your bike, keep the stock shocks. They are fine, and free.

If you want the best possible comfort without considering price, air suspension is the way to go.

If you want to lower your bike with comfort and price in mind, good luck.

Basically with Softail suspensions, you have 3 variables, and you get to choose 2 of them when buying. Comfort, Low Ride Height, Low Price

Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The Works shock sound like a good shock for the $$$. Seen a few people not happy with progressives. Cost is definitely a factor.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Ok thanks.

Can you tell me what the rebound capabilities of the shock is like? One of the other guys says he just installed shotgun and it was like a trampoline bouncing up and down?
Yeah, he mentioned that that was before he set it up.
You can adjust it to anything, from so soft that you'll bottom out, to hard as a rock.

See here how to do so - I did a write-up explaining how they work, because there's not a whole lot in the way of instructions included that show how to set it up and guys have to "experiment" with the switches to get it right...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/air-s...-write-up.html

Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I just don't think I can be convinced into getting a shotgun system, even if they are as good or slightly better that conventional type shocks. The cost is a factor too - the shotguns are more than double the price of works and race tech shocks and triple the cost of progressives.
That's kind of the whole point some of us are trying to make.
They're not "as good" or "slightly better".
They're 100x better...

Quick Reply: Best shocks for improved comfort and handling?