Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Coil Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:24 AM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breakout Coil Key

First, I know its a warranty item and I'm lucky its in the run position. Went to lock the coil yesterday at a VFW event and Key will not turn the coil lock. Just in case tried the steering lock and its fine so its not the key. Figured maybe something got in it and jammed it, so used some cleaner and silicon spray and tried it, started to turn really hard so stopped and put back in run position. Please note I hardly use the lock due to the bike is either in the garage, under my butt, or at work where no one has access to the park area. I may have used it a hand full amount of times. So question has anyone else had this problem?? Do you think I should try to turn and keep turning to loosen up??

Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I think I recall reading a similar story on the switch for the bo. I think your best bet is to ride to the dealer and get it replaced. Why even screw with it when something is not right and it under warranty. Haven't had a problem with mine YET.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 AM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

On my blackline I have the same problem. Im gonna turn it in when I take it in for the next service

Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser

Wanted to see if I could save a trip to the dealer. I do plan on making them fix, but every time I go to the dealer I come home with something for the bike or me. So it gets expensive per trip. I am going to the garage now and starting to wire up a fender light. So if anyone had a quick solution I was going to look at that also.
Either way its time to light up the fender. Will also take pictures of step by step.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:45 AM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cdonis
I think I recall reading a similar story on the switch for the bo..
Did a quick search, could not find anything like this, just the one where the switch **** fall off. If you can find it give me heads up.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 381 Posts

Turn the switch to run. Grab a small allen wrench and remove the bolt that will now be at 9 o'clock. Pull off the switch handle, and try the key. I know this may likely do nothing, but I noticed when I re installed mine after powder coating, if that bolt was too tight it would bind the lock.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:59 AM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 24v
Turn the switch to run. Grab a small allen wrench and remove the bolt that will now be at 9 o'clock. Pull off the switch handle, and try the key. I know this may likely do nothing, but I noticed when I re installed mine after powder coating, if that bolt was too tight it would bind the lock.
Did try that when I cleaned and lubed that's when it got better but still stiff, worried that it may get locked in lock position then I'll be screwed. Even took off the cover I put on and tried that. But no luck. I have used sense the mod of the cover and that's the only time the handle has been off.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 381 Posts

You did what to the cover? If it is just tight from you removing the bolt and putting it back too much, then you can free it up with some wd40 and some cycling of it. Mine was stiff after I put it back on and I worked it out that way. Works fine now, but took quite a few cycles.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:05 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had this happen to me last night.wouldn't lock,I messed with it a little but was worried id break the key in it.got it home this morning and shot wd 40 in it.it freed up after a few tries.im guessing water gets in it and rusts a little? Im not sure but if it happens again ill take it in

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 24v
You did what to the cover? .
Prior I had added a chrome cover over the coil with the key switch sticking out, the cover is for a Rocker but with a little mod it fits and you can still flip the lever.
Was out installing my fender light and worked on it also took lever off and cycled key a bunch of times seems to be getting better. I will work it some more when my plugs come in for the light hookup.

Quick Reply: Breakout Coil Key