Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any "CHROMETHATHOG" Customers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any "CHROMETHATHOG" Customers...

I am thinking of having my stock '07 Fat Boy wheels chrome-plated...

chromethathog.com isa sponsor on the forum andseems to have some really good prices on new chromeand chrome exchanges.

Has anyone done any business with them...could you tell me if you had a good/bad experience? Level of quality...any quality issues?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any "CHROMETHATHOG" Customers...

Oh , BABY !!! Most everybody loves um ,but me ! Ordered a swingarm and a sprocket from them , was surprised - got a real quick shipping confirmation from them . Cool , well two weeks after it was due and not recieved I call them and get some " lame duck excuse " from them and a promise to personally pick up my parts from their chrome shop and ship that day . Well two weeks later and finally the sprocket shows up - NO SWINGARM ! Call again a recieve another excuse and more promises , I give them two more weeks. No swingarm , call them again , item still not shipped , cancel the rest of my order .. Issues with CTH on refund , first they said I would get a check from them , a week later say I will have to get my refund through PAYPAL . I am STEAMING , PAYPAL will only refund to a saving/checking accout , not back to my Mastercard . Now I have to register this account with PAYPAL and they only will transfer 2 or 3 hundred a month , they owe me close to $700 bucks , by now I want to destroy somebody or all bodys that have screwed up this transaction . I was going to get my rear wheel chromed also , found a new chrome shop , they also take PAYPAL , get my balance transfered and I've finally got my money back !

I got my wheel off of EBAY , it included the tire (stock Harley ), bearings and balancing for right around $400 , most places want close to that just for the chrome job . The chrome shop I'll add a link to ;
http://www.usachrome.com/black_chrome.htm

is also called American Revolution , their GM , Pat Curran I talked to a couple of times , took excellent care of me and any questions I had . The chrome is first rate , their warranty -3 years is longer than anyone elses , very speedy transaction . Don't recall the deposit but it was not much , like $100 , got the wheel/tire , shipped back the old one after I had the tire removed . GREAT EXPERIENCE- NO DOWNTIME !!! Can't say enough good about Pat Curran and American Revolution .

Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Well DanDuece...this is EXACTLY the kind of feedbackI was looking for! You know the old adage of when something sounds too good to be true, especially on the Internet! I spoke with chromethathog on the telephone...basically promised me the world. I do not have time to dick around with a bunch of guys making promises they can't keep...orto keep my beast on the lift for weeks at a time...or to tie up a bunch of cash that I work too hard to get!

Thanks for the plug for Pat and the team at American Revolution...I'll go check them out!

Later...

Steve

Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm currently having my 07 FatBoy stock wheels chromed by Chrome Pros Plating in Texas. They say it's a four week turn around. My problemis I currently have a set of solid chrome wheels on my bike now, just not sure which set I will keep. So if you can wait a couple of more weeks I may have a set for sale, either the solid chrome or the 07 FB stock chromed

Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 AM
PaFatboy
Tourer

Hey SCJE8:
I know that they look great chrome BUT, have you ridden this bike much in a crosswind? I have the custom HD wheels, I wish not I would have the star type or something open. I hate getting pushed around in the wind.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
SCJE8
Club Member

I'm still looking dugan, not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. Let me know when you get the other set back...I may look at buying yours as an option.

Thanks...

Steve

Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: PaFatboy

Hey SCJE8:
I know that they look great chrome BUT, have you ridden this bike much in a crosswind? I have the custom HD wheels, I wish not I would have the star type or something open. I hate getting pushed around in the wind.
I live in an area that has very strong crosswinds for the most part (Kansas/Oklahoma areas), and I don't buy into this negative stuff about solid wheels having major problems in the wind.

In fact, yesterday myself and a friend had to meet with some folks, and the round trip was about 275 miles. I was riding my FatBoy (with solid wheels), and the friend was on his Deuce (with spoked front wheel). We experienced strong crosswinds, and he was having just as much of a problem as I was. Also, all my other bikes have spoked wheels, and I ride them in the same windy conditions.

I rode his Deuce for a while, and I didn't notice any difference just because of the difference in the front wheel.

Compared to total surface of a bike, including the rider, a front wheel is a very small portion of the surface area. Also, how much wind do you think flows through a regular spoked wheel when it is turning at high revolutions (60+ miles per hour)? Very little, as even spokes turning at speed make an almost solid barrier for crosswinds.

Biggest difference I've noticed when riding in high crosswinds (30+ MPH) is using, or not using a windshield.

Just my less than $.02 worth, and I'm sticking to it...

Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, I never did buy that "solid wheels vs. crosswind" crap. I've never been thrown to the side of the road. IMO it's just not a FatBoy without solid wheels.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

I've read studies on that from engineers that say a spoked wheel at somewhere around 20mph doesn't let anymore wind thru than a solid. This is an eternal debate, the internet is full of studies. This has been debated since the first solid wheel came off the assembly line.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
gabhart
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jibberish! I have felt like I was on ice a few times going 65 on I-95 when trying to get away from a semi while riding my Fat Boy. Also had the same "on ice" feeling when riding down at the Outer Banks next to the ocean on a windy day!

Never felt that feeling on my Ultra.......

Quick Reply: Any "CHROMETHATHOG" Customers...