Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride with cyclevisions set up??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Knuckles73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air ride with cyclevisions set up??

Anybody run a bagger tail set up with hard bags or RK bags? When and if I drop my rear lower than stock it seems to create pressure on the support bar or bags come off the rubber bumpers if i have had it raised then lower it.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 PM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

I have exactly the same issue on my deluxe with RKC bags. It seems the backside of left bag touches the axle whenever the bike bottoms on road bumps and other irregulaties.

I am yet to find out a solution to this, so I'd be quite interested to see the responses of our fellow riders over here.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Sounds like the bags need to be spaced away further from the swingarm. Lots of people runnin your setup. Never heard this before.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM
swilcoxon86
6th Gear

I had this same problem, the left bag had about an inch long gouge on the back side of it, directly above the axle. The cyclevisions kit instructions mention flipping the rear axle for certain year bikes. (Check and see if the nut for the rear axle is on the left or the right hand side of the bike). If it is is in stock configuration, the axle nut will be on the left. If that is the case, flip it and problem solved. That was all that was needed on mine to gain the clearance needed. Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by swilcoxon86
I had this same problem, the left bag had about an inch long gouge on the back side of it, directly above the axle. The cyclevisions kit instructions mention flipping the rear axle for certain year bikes. (Check and see if the nut for the rear axle is on the left or the right hand side of the bike). If it is is in stock configuration, the axle nut will be on the left. If that is the case, flip it and problem solved. That was all that was needed on mine to gain the clearance needed. Hope this helps.
Well, the instructions in my kit mentioned something about flipping the axle. But seeing that the bags were mounted without touching the axle nut made me think it's not really needed. This is addition to the fact that I didn't know how to flip the axle. Obviously it wasn't a good idea to omit this step.

I'll do some search around here to see how I can go about flipping the axle.

Thank you so much for the help...

Old 05-28-2014, 01:10 PM
swilcoxon86
6th Gear

Glad I could help. The axle flip isn't too bad to be honest. I was in the same boat. Put it together, saw it cleared, and decided to skip that step. Made a world of difference after the flip. No contact, even with the suspension fully compressed. Wish I would have taken before/after pictures to show you the difference.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by AMubaslat

I'll do some search around here to see how I can go about flipping the axle.

Thank you so much for the help...
Put a jack under the frame, remove the nut on end of axle, slide out out, slide it back in from the other side, put nut back on.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Knuckles73
Tourer

I'll check that and see if thats the problem. Need to figure it out cuz I wanna add extended hard bags. it seems the CV kit should move with the bike no matter what height... in theory.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 381 Posts

Yes, the bags and brackets move with the "bike" frame and struts. But the swingarm, wheel, axle, etc all do not move.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
AMubaslat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 24v
Put a jack under the frame, remove the nut on end of axle, slide out out, slide it back in from the other side, put nut back on.
Looks like an easy thing to do. I am fine working out the nuts and so, but not the jacking bit. With the only jack i have being my SUVs, it looks like a trip to the indie is in order.

Thank you so much.

Quick Reply: Air ride with cyclevisions set up??