Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the keyless fob be added on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM
DJFriar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the keyless fob be added on your own?

I want to add the keyless fob to my FLS, but don't want to pay the dealer to install it if possible. Is it possible to install this part on our own, or does it require the dealer to install it?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

At one time I know that the security system was already installed on every bike... all that had to be done was to turn it on in the ECM. I am not sure that the keyless fob is the same on new bikes, but I would guess that it is so the answer would be no. You might get a hint by asking someone at ThunderMax what happens to your keyless entry system if you install one of their units.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
DJFriar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cwsharp
At one time I know that the security system was already installed on every bike... all that had to be done was to turn it on in the ECM. I am not sure that the keyless fob is the same on new bikes, but I would guess that it is so the answer would be no. You might get a hint by asking someone at ThunderMax what happens to your keyless entry system if you install one of their units.
I shot them an email. If it is built in to the ECM, then all I would need is a replacement FOB and someone willing to flip the switch, right? Does it require a different ignition switch?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 PM
badpig173
Banned

the Harley security system is NOT built into every bike.. you have to purchase the alarm & it comes with 2 fobs. The alarm itself is plug and play but the dealership is the only place that can pair the fobs to the alarm. I just had it added to my 2012 FLSTC. also the siren is an additional part that you can add. It cost me $88 to have both installed and fobs activated.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:27 PM
DJFriar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Originally Posted by DJFriar
I shot them an email. If it is built in to the ECM, then all I would need is a replacement FOB and someone willing to flip the switch, right? Does it require a different ignition switch?
ThunderMax wrote back and said their CVO Softail worked fine, so I'm guessing the alarm logic is not contained within the ECU.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
DJFriar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by badpig173
the Harley security system is NOT built into every bike.. you have to purchase the alarm & it comes with 2 fobs. The alarm itself is plug and play but the dealership is the only place that can pair the fobs to the alarm. I just had it added to my 2012 FLSTC. also the siren is an additional part that you can add. It cost me $88 to have both installed and fobs activated.
Looks like it would be part #41000021B for my model, which lists for $360, plus the labor to install it. Hmmmm......

Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM
gadgetguy1288
Advanced

I want to add the alarm to my 13 FXS as well. Anybody know the best(cheapest) place to find the alarm itself? I'm an Avionics tech(electrician), so the install is no problem for me, will just have to have the stealership activate the fobs.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM
badpig173
Banned

part no. 41000021C for a 2014 Slim and hunt it down online thru surdyke or another harley dealer. I paid $280 for mine.. and I bought the siren and cost me the same as if i got the local dealer.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by badpig173
That's not what I meant. The control system is resident in the ECM according to someone from HD at Bikeweek and it is resident in the ECM on every bike according to them in '06 and earlier. I can't say that this is still the case.

The cost for the fobs and siren is extra and HD explained that you would have to buy those... and the price in those days included the ECM mods, again according to HD. The OP didn't care about the siren I don't think... and you are right. It makes sense that the fobs have to be linked with the ECM.

My point is that much of the money involved in what the OP wants to do is in linking to the ECM and making the change... a whole 10 minutes worth of HD Labor... so instead of $15 you get to pay a lot more... you don't have to install the fobs... well, maybe by HD standards you do...

Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 AM
badpig173
Banned

the keyless fobs are a part of the security (igniton disabling) alarm system.. so you're saying don't activate the fobs? then how is the alarm going to disengage? is he going to enter the 5 digit override pin everytime he wants to start it? you must be thinking of something totally different. the keyless fobs are only for the alarm system, they aren't there for any other reason.. the alarm when engaged will not let the ignition turn on even when the ignition switch on the dash is set to ON and the handlebar switch is set to run. when the keyless fobs come within about 10 feet the alarm is disengaged and the bike can be started. it's basically so you don't have to get your key out and unlock the dash ignition. And the alarm also adds the feature that the turn signals flash when the bike is moved before the alarm is disengaged.

Quick Reply: Can the keyless fob be added on your own?