Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prog standard 422 vs 422 RAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 PM
13bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prog standard 422 vs 422 RAP

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between these 2 shocks... It seems to me that the standard 422s might have slightly better damping quality than the RAP version from the way the RAP shocks are designed? Is this true?

Does anyone know if having the remote adjustable preload in one of the shock bodies in the RAP version reduces damping ability or shock performance?

I don't want the remote adjusting feature if it compromises the quality of the ride.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I just installed my 422 RAPs and have started a review of them on another post.

My understanding is the only difference between the typical 422 and the RAPs is that with the RAPs you can adjust the pre-load with the turn of a dial, where-as the typical 422s you have to adjust them with the spanner like a typical softail shock.

My initial opinion of the 422 RAP is very positive and am very happy with it.
During my initial 2-up ride I tweaked the pre-load four times by just pulling over to the side of the road and turning a dial.
After the fourth tweak, my Wife was very pleased with the ride.

When I got back home, with a simple turn of the RAP dial I was back to my 1-up setting.

I considered the Shotgun Shock and I have little doubts it's a good product and JD is apparently the best in providing service.
I've never rode a bike with the Shotgun Shock but from what I've read it gives a fabulous ride.

Perhaps if I wanted to slam my Heritage or make it more "touring capable" I would have considered the air suspension more, but I just couldn't see spending the $1250 on it or dealing with the inherent problems that air ride seems to have when what I was really looking for was a better softail ride, not a touring ride.

I took a chance that the Progressive 422 RAPs would give me the ride improvements I was looking for.
I'm still "testing" it, but for the $500 I paid, I have absolutely no complaints.
The ride so far is way more superior than stock suspension ride.

I'll be up in the Black Hills on vacation starting next week so I hope to have many miles of testing over the 10 days that I'm there.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-16-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the std one installed on my rocker...awesome ride, no issues. Do the front springs also, only 90 bucks for the front kit and a huge improvement!!!!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 AM
13bob
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the different design of the RAPs affects the damping / or ride quality?

They are designed differently, so they must ride slightly different?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:50 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
I have the std one installed on my rocker...awesome ride, no issues. Do the front springs also, only 90 bucks for the front kit and a huge improvement!!!!
At $90 I take it that this wasn't the monotubes - what did you use?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 13bob
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the different design of the RAPs affects the damping / or ride quality?

They are designed differently, so they must ride slightly different?
What makes you think they are designed functional different?

The only design difference I'm aware of is physically the 422 RAP uses a worm gear to adjust the pre-load, where-as the standard 422 uses a spanner wrench.

Attached Thumbnails Prog standard 422  vs  422 RAP-standard-422.jpg   Prog standard 422  vs  422 RAP-422-rap.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
What makes you think they are designed functional different?

The only design difference I'm aware of is physically the 422 RAP uses a worm gear to adjust the pre-load, where-as the standard 422 uses a spanner wrench.
The one difference that I note is that the pre-load is applied equally to both shocks in the case of the 442's, but only a single shock in the case of the 422 RAP's.

The HD manual makes a specific note to adjust both equally - not sure if there's any adverse effect not having them equal.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Well I haven't read the standard 422 adjustment procedure to compare that but I will say, that so far there is a vast improvement with the ride during 2-up and a noticeable improvement on 1-up.

I did go with the "Heavy Duty" model so it is more designed for higher ride weights so it would seem logical that 1-up might be a little stiff.

There's also the "standard" version that apparently they install lighter springs in for less weight.

Good luck making a decision on Shotguns or 422s, I fought with that decision for months.
I went for the 422 RAPs primarily due to cost but I am happy with the results so far.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-17-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Duplicate post

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-19-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 AM
13bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Well I haven't read the standard 422 adjustment procedure to compare that but I will say, that so far there is a vast improvement with the ride during 2-up and a noticeable improvement on 1-up.

I did go with the "Heavy Duty" model so it is more designed for higher ride weights so it would seem logical that 1-up might be a little stiff.

There's also the "standard" version that apparently they install lighter springs in for less weight.

Good luck making a decision on Shotguns or 422s, I fought with that decision for months.
I went for the 422 RAPs primarily due to cost but I am happy with the results so far.
The regular 422s are adjusted just the same way as the stock shocks - equal adjustment for both shocks. The RAPs are designed differently as they hydraulically increase preload on 1 shock only.

I just wondered if the RAP shocks have exactly the same damping / valving set up as the regulate 422s? If not then there may be a difference in the ride or feel of the shocks. I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge about these shocks might be able to enlighten us.

If there is absolutely no difference in the design / mechanism of the shock internals, then getting the RAP version makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: Prog standard 422 vs 422 RAP