Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new exhaust, just wanted last minute input

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM
deezy139
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a new exhaust, just wanted last minute input

Hey all, so when I got the Slim I had them get roll leather pros 720 (?) bags and a windshield into the financing. I came in today to get them installed, but the size bag I'm looking at interfered with the top pipe, so we had to get a little creative. We could have gone to the smaller bag but dammit if I'm going to have bags I want them to hold more than a couple wrenches and a 6 pack of beer. So my option to get the bigger bags I want is to get a 2-1 pipe. Luckily, that's what I wanted anyway, I just wasn't sure if I wanted a 2 up setup or pipes this year... It kinda depended on whether one of the couple girls on my radar worked out or not. Well, getting pipes in order to get bags is pretty easy decision... I really want the bags and the girls are kind of shots in the dark.

So I've been doing a lot of looking, reading, and listening on YouTube to different pipes and I've landed on the v&h pro pipe. To me pipes are three things: performance, looks, and sound. Really I'd say the most important thing to me is sound, with performance and looks kind of a toss up in second place. My main thing is though I want something quieter and won't **** off my neighbors when I leave for work at 6 am but still loud enough to hear the engine and keep others knowing of my presence. Sound quality wise (based on YouTube), I think the pro pipe is pure sex and I like that I can get a quiet baffle if I want to.

My question is, how loud is the pro pipe? Here's my frame of reference: my old sporty 1200 custom had screaming eagle slip ons with some "barely" baffles in it... I'm pretty sure it was louder than my buddy's night train with a rineheart 2-1 (if not they were equal volume) and I saw a clip on YouTube of two dynas with 103s, one with a rineheart and one with a pro pipe. That side by side comparison definitely made it sound like the pro pipe is quieter, and that logically puts this bike quiter than my sporty was, and that's really what I'm after. Does this make sense? Any have any other anecdotal stories about the pro pipe?

Also I've been reading about tuners and I've got my eye set on a FP3. I know pipes are kind of an iffy thing on whether you really need it or not but should I just say **** it and do it now anyway?

Thanks gents, just wanted a second opinion on my stuff before I pull the trigger.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Freelander
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have things figured out pretty well. I have the V&H Big Shots on my deuce. Not sure how the compare to the Pro pipes. They were a little loud so I put the Quiet Baffles in. Mellowed it out so I don't **** off my neighbors but still loud enough to get noticed.
I have an older Fuelpak on there and it had been find. I know the new FP is pretty cool since you can actually control it from your phone.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Since you want a Pro Pipe the FP3 should be a decent option. If you are worried about sound level look at the Supertrapp. That is if they make one for a Slim. Since you are not running slip on's and are going with a full 2 into 1 exhaust system you will need some type of tuner.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Also, I believe the ProPipe comes with a choice of baffles...soft or loud. Had set on Sportster and the soft ( quiet) baffle was perfect for my taste. Of course...I'm old.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I was impulsive when I bought my pipes and got VH Shortshots Staggered. I love the look and the sound, but if I had to do it again, I would have bought a Pro Pipe. I might get one myself in a year or so when I build a 113" engine.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I have V&H BSS on a Deluxe and they were pretty loud, so I installed the quiet baffles and it deepened the sound and quieter at idle. Still pretty loud when you get on it. Also cut down on some of the backfire, rumbling at deceleration. This way I have both the quiet and louder(stock cheese grader) baffles if I want to go back to real loud. SE Pro tuner, also.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally think there are better options than the FP3.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Smileman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Pro pipe on my Fatboy. On Saturday I pulled up to a guy on a Fatboy Lo with a set of Reinhart 2>1 pipes. The Reinharts were 1) Louder, and 2) deeper in tone. They sounded great, but were definitely louder than the Propipe.
P.S. I'm really happy with the Powervision tuner.

Last edited by Smileman; 08-11-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yeah, I can fit a 12 pack in my small LP bags, too!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

D and D would not change a thing, not loud unless you take it up into the higher rpm range. Then its got a bark all its own. Quality is a 10. By the way its the bobcat by D and D.

Quick Reply: Getting a new exhaust, just wanted last minute input