Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shots Black vs Big Shots reg length Black

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short Shots Black vs Big Shots reg length Black

Any one have an opinion on the two?

V&H told me the short shots rob the bike of a little torque over the Big Shots.

The Big Shot reg length black do not come in slash cut. Which is my preference, of course the Shortshots are more aggressive looking and the have the slash cut.

Any one have experience with both. Is one deeper sound then the other? I assume the Shortshots are louder but if they are deeper then maybe I will go with those.

Let me know thanks.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I had short shots on y FLSTFB they were LOUD just what I was going for. I also had and liked slash cut

Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Short shots sound loud on the You Tube vids thats for sure.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

The Shortshots are a straight 2 into 2 exhaust.

The Bigshots are a 2 into 2 exhaust but have a crossover "power chamber".

The Bigshots will retain more torque and aren't as loud.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 249 Posts

Had the short shots, yes they will reduce your torque a bit but one other issue that annoyed me was they are very prone to decel popping. Takes a real good tuner to minimize that. They are louder than the long ones.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Everyone has such a downer on decal-popping....

I rather like it. If you're going to be loud you might as well be loud.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Bigshot staggered has the slash cut and isnt as long as the long shots but longer than the short shots. They were just too loud for me and so added the quiet baffles and then I was set. Deepened them up also.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 AM
BigMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Had the short shots, yes they will reduce your torque a bit but one other issue that annoyed me was they are very prone to decel popping. Takes a real good tuner to minimize that. They are louder than the long ones.
It really isn't difficult to get rid of with the Shortshots. The first thing to do is to make sure that you don't have an exhaust leak at the head. Even taking great care when installing my pipes, there was a tiny leak - probably because I used the VH gaskets. I switched to the factory gaskets, torqued the pipes carefully, and that reduced it quite a bit. The rest of getting rid of it was all in the tune. SESPT using a base map from another member here and then using the Smart Tune feature to dial it in.

Originally Posted by paulmj
Everyone has such a downer on decal-popping....

I rather like it. If you're going to be loud you might as well be loud.
Although I have the loudest pipes w/baffles that you can probably install on a Softail, IMO, loud for the sake of being loud is just ignorant. When I hear a bike decel popping, my first thought is the owner doesn't have a clue about a properly maintained or tuned bike. I try to be respectful with my loud exhaust and keep the RPM's down around town unless I want to make sure a car hears me. It's no different than that ignorant SOB that rattles your mirror with their car stereo or ricer cars with fart can mufflers. Also take into account that more and more cities and states are coming down hard on (primarily) Harleys with loud exhaust. Don't be surprised when in the next 10 years, aftermarket exhaust that isn't EPA compliant on any motorcycle will be illegal and heavily fined. A lot of that credit will go to all of the throttle blippers.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(All in my opinion...)

Long shots look crap, so I'd say it's between the short shots and big shot staggered. I think the short shots look better but I bought the BSS. The reasons being:

The short shots are louder, but not in a good way. They are more "blatt-blatt" than "thump-thump" and so aren't the nice sound I was looking for.

As others have said, you lose torque because of the lack of back pressure. Because of the increased propensity for reversion, you will find that they create a bigger decel popping issue than the BSS or other pipes. For the same reason, some find them difficult to auto-tune in the higher rpm/lower throttle positions. (And no, flooding the engine with fuel by dramatically lowering the AFR here is not an acceptable "solution" IMO, so don't claim it's easily solved.)

I find the BSS plenty loud enough, and would prefer a deeper sound if anything so I'm glad I didn't go for the short shots on my fatboy. If I was getting a sporty, then I'd probably choose very differently because of the look. But having talked and tuned a few different options, I think I'd probably get 2:1 if I were buying again...

Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 AM
BigMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by peg20
(All in my opinion...)

I think I'd probably get 2:1 if I were buying again...
Agreed. Wish I'd gone with a black Pro Pipe.

Quick Reply: Short Shots Black vs Big Shots reg length Black