Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 10:10 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts
Default Harley sound

One of the things that I like about Harleys is the sound. I can close my eyes and have a Japanese bike go by and no big deal. No offense to the Jap bikes. When a Harley goes by it gets the blood going, I love that sound. Here's my question. I know that there is an ongoing debate about carb vs efi and there's a chance that it will never end. I understand about tinkering with the carb when the bike acts up and have a chance to get it home or to a shop for repairs. I understand about efi that supposedly when it acts up it's a little harder to tinker with and get home. Since I am interested in the Harley sound, is there very much difference in the sound between the two? My first bike back in the early 80's was a 1000 cc shaftdrive Suzuki. It had a carb and I drove all over the country. My first trip with the bike was 2100 miles from about 2000' elev, to close to 6000' elev. It never gave me any problems. I'm not much on computerized stuff and I would like to swing towards the carb. Long winded story, but any comments?

Old 01-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts
Default RE: Harley sound

As far as I can tell, there's no difference in the exhaust note between the EFI or carbed engines. BUT, if you really want the "Harley sound", you should change the exhaust to a more free flowing setup,a nd along with that remap the EFi/rejet the carb, and put a high flow air cleaner on. The stock exhaust is SO quiet these days. I'm having those mods done to my Night Train before I even ride her off the dealer's lot!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-16-2005, 01:28 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Hey Clammy, since I got your attention, I was wondering what your opinion on the carb vs efi would be. Also, since I don't live anywhere near you, I was wondering how much time do you have for riding in your neck of the woods?

Old 01-16-2005, 02:03 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Springer,

No difference in sound between the two. Like you have stated, it's mostly a difference in convenience...to most. The EFI is going to give you a better tune (if tuned properly), it's going to be a little more efficient with fuel, and it's going to be little more difficult to tune...but then, it would seem that all of the newer bikes are harder to "tinker" than the older bikes were...

I believe that in time, all the bikes will be EFI, but not in the next year or anything...

Mac

Old 01-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Firedude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like to modify or tinker with your bike, get the carb. If you just want to ride and never mess with it, get the EFI. Elevation changes are not a real issue with the carb. I have seen carb bikes go 50000+ miles with no more than a mixture screw adjust with different pipes installed. One of my friends was sorry he got EFI because he is always modifing it. He said he was going to leave it stock. That lasted a couple weeks.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

ORIGINAL: SPRINGER

Hey Clammy, since I got your attention, I was wondering what your opinion on the carb vs efi would be. Also, since I don't live anywhere near you, I was wondering how much time do you have for riding in your neck of the woods?
Well, the reason I decided to go with the carb, on my Night Train, was that everything I've read about the current carbs Harley is using is very positive, and I saved about a grand on the price!

EFI, by design, is a bit more efficient, but is more costly to tinker with and/or repair. From a riding persepective either choice is a good one IMHO. With the carb setup, you have a choke, and should let the engine warm up a bit before taking off, whereas with EFI: turn the key, put 'er in gear and go. It depends on your needs, I guess. If you like to tinker, then I'd suggest you go with the carb.

Here I can probably get about 7 months of riding... if winter holds off, I could maybe stretch out another couple of weeks on top of that.

Cheers!

Old 01-17-2005, 04:30 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there is a slight exhaust note diff beween carb and EFI. It is especially noticeable at idle. There's nothing like the delicious burp and burble of a carbed H-D at idle. H-D tried to program this into the Delphi EFI, but it's not quite there. Going down the road, the exhaust notes are essentially the same. But at a stop light, the carbed H-D delivers the inimitable sound.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone ever notice that it costs so much extra to get a Harley to sound like a Harley these days? You think that sound would come stock.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:20 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

Anyone ever notice that it costs so much extra to get a Harley to sound like a Harley these days? You think that sound would come stock.
It's there, just muffled. Pair of $200 slip-ons will "fix" it. Alas, the EPA won't permit the unmuffled sound to come stock. Same with bikes from other manufacturers.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know; it's just funny that you have to mod the Harley to get the "Harley sound." In a sense, shouldn't the quieter stock sound be the "Harley sound" since that's how Harleys come? Wait,,,I take that back.

Quick Reply: Harley sound