Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 PM
HarleyMan58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Level

2005 FatBoy - Stage One - When checking my oil level after engine has been at normal operating temperture and the bike is on it's Jiffy stand the oil level reads slightly below the middle. A few days later checking the oil while the bike is on it's jiffy stand and cold, the oil level reads at the add mark. Is this normal? Why does it fluctuate like that? Does oil need to be added?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:39 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do not add oil. The engine is a dry sump motor. Check the oil after the engine and oil is warmed up. The oil tank, sometimes called "bag" will be full. Check oil with the engine off. This should give you the correct reading. After the bike sits for a while oil will leak out of the tank to the engine giving the appearance of being low on oil.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a service manual for the bike. It will also tell you whether to check the oil level with the bike on the jiffy stand or the bike standing up right. It does make a difference. Be careful not to over fill.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:46 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

13 Heritage here. When doing an oil change, I add oil in a cold engine till the oil level on the dipstick is at the half way mark.
After a normal ride while on the kick stand/jiffy stand it will read at or below the max oil level on the dipstick.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the dealership overfilled mine after checking the oil. I read up on what is the level it should be at, and it's way past where it should be, cold or hot...crap!!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:12 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Oil Level Cold Check

1. For pre-ride inspection, place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached).
  2. See Engine Oil Filler Cap. Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
    NOTE:
    The oil level marks for checking with motorcycle upright or on jiffy stand are on the same side of the dipstick. Be sure to use the correct portion of dipstick when checking oil level.
  3. See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and verify the level of the oil. The correct oil level should register midway (2) between the FULL and ADD marks on the dipstick.
NOTE:
If oil level is at or below the ADD mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to the middle of the two marks on the dipstick.

Oil Level Hot Check

NOTES:
  • The engine will require a longer warm up period in colder weather.
  • Engine oil level hot check should be performed only when engine is at normal operating temperature.

1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
  2. Place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached). Allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
  3. See Engine Oil Filler Cap. Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
    NOTE:
    The oil level marks for checking with motorcycle upright or on jiffy stand are on the same side of the dipstick. Be sure to use the correct portion of dipstick when checking oil level.
  4. See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. The level should be between the ADD (1) and FULL (3) marks. Add oil as necessary to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
This is how I check my 09 and 13 as already said you should get a manual for your year and model . Very important to not over fill .

Last edited by electricstart; 09-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Whtwolf14
I think the dealership overfilled mine after checking the oil. I read up on what is the level it should be at, and it's way past where it should be, cold or hot...crap!!
When the oil and engine are cold on a softail, the oil level on the dipstick should be half way on the raised portion of the dipstick.
If's it's above, just get a baster from Wal-Mart and suck some out.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
When the oil and engine are cold on a softail, the oil level on the dipstick should be half way on the raised portion of the dipstick.
If's it's above, just get a baster from Wal-Mart and suck some out.

Yup...did that, took forever but I think she will survive until I bed her down for her winter's nap and change all 3 holes...

It was damn near an eighth of a quart to much!! "oh yeah, we service all bikes that come in on trade...". Maybe they got it confused with a touring bike or something...

I'll admit I got to turn in my rookie card, but I have a manual on order from my local HD and that crap won't happen again.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 PM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tube adapter that is for filling manual transmissions (car) and you screw the top on the oil bottle and can squeeze to push fluid in while under a car and of course it works the other way also.

So I put it on the HD oil bottles and put fluid in all three wholes and if I get to much in, like you are discribing, I use a empty bottle squeeze air out, hold, insert end into oil and let bottle go. It sucks some out and into the empty oil bottle. Works for me.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Oil

On my deluxe I add 2 full quarts and 80% of the third that's it any more then this and it will be coming out the breather. Most people put in 3 full quarts that would be to much in my motor. I do not even check it. After I do a change it's not going to change from oil change to oil change. I get the motor hot about a ten mile ride drain it remove filter add oil to the new filter replace it fill the oil tank with the rest of the 2.8 quarts that I use that's counting the oil I put in the filter total 2.8!quarts done ride it never check it it's the same every time

Quick Reply: Oil Level