Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Irving, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:23 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Irving, Texas

Well, I drove out to Dallas from Austin on Tuesday on business, and didn't get a chance to check in to my hotel in Irving till about 6pm that night. I was Definitely ready for a Tall Cold One or three [sm=icon_guiness.gif] and headed on out to grab a 12er. First place I got to was a gas station...searched the cooler doors to find them stocked with soda, water, and energy drinks. I thought, ok, well no biggie, grabbed a powerade, and found out from the cashier that there was a liquor store just down the street. Well, after going about 5 miles down the street, I ended up at a 7-11, not sure if this was the "liquor store" he was referring to. Upon inspection of the 7-11 coolers, you guessed it, soda, water, and energy drinks. I get to the cashier after a short wait in line, and I'm notified that I'm in a.....wait....what was that again.....a "DRY COUNTY."[sm=huh.gif]
[sm=jawdrop.gif] For the time I've been out here in Texas, I've heard of these types of counties, but this was the first time I'd come across one, and at a pretty horrible time in need! Long story short, the hotel I'm staying at, has happy hour each night from 5-7, and I was able to make it back just in time to throw a few back [sm=icon_cheers.gif] Anyhow, just thought that I would share my tale

Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Irving, Texas

YES!It's hard to believe that one of the most populated areas in Texas could be dry but it's true.You wont find many dry areas in other parts of Texas tho unless you go east.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 AM
hd lady
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure where you are staying at in Irving but if you drive a couple of miles in any direction you can get beer and liquor. I actually live closer to the beer store than the grocery store.

BTW next time your here let me know and I'll get some friends together and meet you for happy hour.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain

I'm right off the 114 East and Wingren Dr...Cool, I'll have to take you up on that next time I'm out here
ORIGINAL: hd lady

I'm not sure where you are staying at in Irving but if you drive a couple of miles in any direction you can get beer and liquor. I actually live closer to the beer store than the grocery store.

BTW next time your here let me know and I'll get some friends together and meet you for happy hour.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:51 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Yep, many dry areas in Dallas. Rowlett (where I live) voted the booze in last year. Otherwise it was a 7 mile drive to the outskirts of Rockwall. Where you could buy chilled singles, too.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 PM
hd lady
Tourer

Shoot your right down the road from my office, i'm right off 114 too,and less than a mile from the liquor/beer store.

ORIGINAL: inkaholic

I'm right off the 114 East and Wingren Dr...Cool, I'll have to take you up on that next time I'm out here

Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain

7 Miles...Geesh!!!
ORIGINAL: grunt

Yep, many dry areas in Dallas. Rowlett (where I live) voted the booze in last year. Otherwise it was a 7 mile drive to the outskirts of Rockwall. Where you could buy chilled singles, too.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain

Really??? Dang, well, I must have headed out in the wrong direction then! Oh well, I found a liquor store the next day just down the street from the office, so that was a relief!!!

Shoot your right down the road from my office, i'm right off 114 too,and less than a mile from the liquor/beer store.

ORIGINAL: inkaholic

Old 11-22-2006, 12:26 PM
carltex
Road Warrior

It's not really a dry county but a dry city. Allen and Mckinney were dry till about 3 or 4 yrs ago. Had to go to next door Plano. Each city has to have an election to be wet or not. Heard on the news last muni elections some cities still voted it down. Allen did at first, took two elections. Now beer is just 1/4 mile from the house. Still no liquor sales. Have to go to some 4 block city inside Richardson to get booze or go to Dallas.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain

Yeah, I'm just about getting used to grocery stores not selling the hard stuff out here...probably a good thing in the long run though! [sm=alcoholic.gif]
ORIGINAL: carltex

It's not really a dry county but a dry city. Allen and Mckinney were dry till about 3 or 4 yrs ago. Had to go to next door Plano. Each city has to have an election to be wet or not. Heard on the news last muni elections some cities still voted it down. Allen did at first, took two elections. Now beer is just 1/4 mile from the house. Still no liquor sales. Have to go to some 4 block city inside Richardson to get booze or go to Dallas.