Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what set up are you running with your short shots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 PM
SomeRandumbDude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what set up are you running with your short shots?

I just recently installed Vance and Hines short shots and DK custom xied on my 2014 iron 883. I am really not happy with the performance, it runs really good over 3K RPMs but there is way too much hesitation at around 2500 RPMs which turns cruising into more of a chore than leisure, and they are way louder than I anticipated. Was thinking of taking them off until I am able to afford sert pro, heavy breather and Dyno time (I should have just done it right from the get). Think I may also get quiet baffles or DK thunder torque inserts to tone down the sounds a bit.

Just wanted to see who else is running short shots on a sporty and your set ups, are you happy? What worked and what didn't? Pros and cons?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 668 Posts

cant help ya too much on setup as I'm running a 103ci dyna. But I've got short shots and I wasn't very happy with them at first either. I bought the quiet baffles before I even put the pipes on because I didnt want a stupid loud bike, but knew I had to have something more than the stock lawn mower sound. But a few friends encouraged me to try the pipes without the quiet baffles... Yea it was loud and toneless. pretty lame if you ask me and almost annoyingly too loud. So I put the quiet baffles in and I was MUCH happier. They dulled the sound down to something reasonable, gave the bike a deeper note and healthy growl, as well as a noticeable bump back in TQ that was lost when I put the practically straight pipes on. They do let my bike wind up a little quicker and had a slight gain in TQ judging by seat-o-da-pants. I'm fairly happy with them now and I havent tried to auto-tune them with my power vision tuner yet, just an adjusted "canned" tune for now but I think that there is more left in it.

But at some point I would like to switch to a 2-1 pipe for performance reasons, even if they are horrid looking. And given I havent put on my SE heavy breather yet, it should be here this week.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:25 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

short shots, SE naked Stage 1 Air Cleaner, Fuel Pak 2.

no issues here!

the pipes will be loud regardless what you do, thats what they are designed to do. be loud and help the top end.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Prayinghands
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

short shots, nightrider Xieds, big sucker and i was given a pair of smartpartz quiet baffles by a friend. The bike was too loud for my taste when I first put the short shots on but the baffles made it mellow out.
http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHSHS.html

Old 10-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Prayinghands
short shots, nightrider Xieds, big sucker and i was given a pair of smartpartz quiet baffles by a friend. The bike was too loud for my taste when I first put the short shots on but the baffles made it mellow out.
http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZVHSHS.html

Just ordered a set of SmartPartz baffles today.
How's the sound and performance with them?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:01 PM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got khrome werks 2.5" slip ons which are similar to cycle shacks, dk customs outlaw 587 air cleaner and a pcv, I had to fit some quiet baffles as pipes were too loud for me so now they sound ok but have lost a bit low/mid range torq, also get dome decel popping which im sure I never had when I had xieds fitted prior to pcv.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Prayinghands
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Just ordered a set of SmartPartz baffles today.
How's the sound and performance with them?
I really dig the sound. Took the harshness out of the sound from the Short Shots. As far as performance, I couldn't really tell you since I rode for one day before I put them in. I definitely like them though.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Prayinghands
I really dig the sound. Took the harshness out of the sound from the Short Shots. As far as performance, I couldn't really tell you since I rode for one day before I put them in. I definitely like them though.
Thanks for the info. The baffles should be here this week.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:14 PM
FLaVaZ
Advanced

Short shots, screaming eagle AC, and tuned by Harley. Sounds and runs great!

Old 10-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Xplosivedog
Novice

The Short Shots are very loud and the lack of exhaust back pressure does effect low end torque. I bought the V&H quiet baffles and added fiberglass packing on the inlet side. That made a huge difference! Now the exhaust note sounds deep and throaty.........and the low end torque is back. I love it!

Quick Reply: what set up are you running with your short shots?