Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forty-Eight Project Bike Report w/ tons of pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollbar
I was wondering that ^^.

I am still looking for a seat for my '90, either Mustang or from Sick Saddles and seeing the spring seats got me thinking if they are really comfortable for the long run etc.

Are they to bouncy ?
Do you order the springs according to your weight?

I think it would look good w/the 2.2gl tank.

Thanks,
Jim

A Spring Seat, set-up right, will be far more comfortable than any other seat can be, and will not be bouncy if you get the correct spring for your weight.

We have 4 different types of suspension, each with different weight classes, you can see them HERE. I've found the Barrel Springs to give the most/smoothest travel, with the shocks running a close second.

Here's a vid of me on a 2000 mile trip on the Sporty, I was riding with a bunch of Baggers, and was more comfortable than most of them. Stock Shocks and a Spring Seat will give more travel (rear suspension wise) than a Street Glide.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
You can get different lengths of spring, but just a a few.

Check out DK's kits. The one herein my Dyna is from Mother Road Customs. 15" x 13" with a 1" gel cushion. Most comfortable seat ever.

Sweet. Do you have a close up of the mounting system?
Guess I'll have to either weld on rear tabs or the stud style I was looking at.

Be nice to find a kit for my year-I'll look at the info you provided.

I would like the 15x13", I think it would fit my bike better w/the 2.2 gl tank and defiantly need the Gel pad.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
A Spring Seat, set-up right, will be far more comfortable than any other seat can be, and will not be bouncy if you get the correct spring for your weight.

We have 4 different types of suspension, each with different weight classes, you can see them HERE. I've found the Barrel Springs to give the most/smoothest travel, with the shocks running a close second.

Here's a vid of me on a 2000 mile trip on the Sporty, I was riding with a bunch of Baggers, and was more comfortable than most of them. Stock Shocks and a Spring Seat will give more travel (rear suspension wise) than a Street Glide.

DK Custom Sportster - Hot Bike Power Tour 2013 - YouTube
Thank you for the info. Checking out the link now. Kids mentioned buying me a seat for my b-day.

Jim

Old 02-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Kevin, your link is 2004/up. I have a 1990 XLH.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Spor...stems_c113.htm

Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Kevin, your link is 2004/up. I have a 1990 XLH.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Spor...stems_c113.htm
I may be wrong, but I don't believe anyone is making a direct bolt-on for your year. W/ minor work our kit will bolt up to your ride.

"This is a direct bolt-on for 04-Up Sportsters, and w/ minor fab work can fit earlier year model Sportsters."

You can see the front hinge bracket and rear spring bracket at this LINK

It does not take much to make them fit your 90 XLH...literally a couple extra washers and drilling 1 or 2 holes. No welding, cutting, grinding.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I may be wrong, but I don't believe anyone is making a direct bolt-on for your year. W/ minor work our kit will bolt up to your ride.

"This is a direct bolt-on for 04-Up Sportsters, and w/ minor fab work can fit earlier year model Sportsters."

You can see the front hinge bracket and rear spring bracket at this LINK

It does not take much to make them fit your 90 XLH...literally a couple extra washers and drilling 1 or 2 holes. No welding, cutting, grinding.

Oh ok. Cool.

I did see your seat kit but I defiantly need Gel foam in addition.

Thanks, new to all this.
Jim

Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

After completing the Basic Stage I we took the 48 out for a few more timed runs and some head to head with the 1250.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:36 PM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

How come you guys retained the plastic pieces when you did the tank lift/wire tuck?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU
How come you guys retained the plastic pieces when you did the tank lift/wire tuck?
I assume you are referring to the piece closest to the seat? If thats what your talking about, most of the lifts/ wire tucks I've seen from the guys on here usually keep that area. Just adds a little extra heat protection and keeps it nice and solid looking. I didn't on mine and my wires right there are still fine and I've been riding like that for at least the last 7 months.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by PSU
We've done it both ways, with and without the plastic piece going from the top of the oil tank to under the rear of the gas tank.

It just seems cleaner with the plastic piece there than with the wire loom exposed.

Quick Reply: Forty-Eight Project Bike Report w/ tons of pics