Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 883C High RPM on Highway Pulley Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 AM
JoelS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 883C High RPM on Highway Pulley Change

I'm always looking for a sixth gear. Hate to beat a dead horse.
Somebody with the same bike let me know what it
cost and if you needed special tools.
I would like a bigger bike, but no job, little money,
and only own the bike to ride. I don't have a car, and I
haven't been able to sell the bike.

Thanks guys. Haven't been on here much, just trying to survive.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

You can swap the front secondary drive pulley no problem. I forget the exact number of teeth as there are several options.

When I did mine from a 27T stock 883 to a 29T stock 1200 pulley, the pulley cost $120 from BDL, and it was $30 for the tool HERE.

It's a bear to get off, though. I had to use a very strong impact gun for a while before it broke loose. And you need an impact to get it back on fully to torque again.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Ive got a 32 tooth I used on my 883. Made it much smoother on the highway but you do give up a little grunt. This is the one I got, its got about 500 miles on it. Yours for $65 plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportster-32...item4d305e238d

Old 04-11-2015, 05:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Exclamation

Over the years I've owned bikes with 3, 4, 5 and 6 gears and have looked for an extra gear on all of them. That's normal. There is nothing wrong with your bike or you, just smile at yourself the next time you do it! Nobody else on the planet will know.

Your bike doesn't need no more gears or gearing either, just ride. If you think it's getting busy down there then wear ear plugs - the best tuning aid known to mankind. You should be anyway!

There y'are - saved you a fortune.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 PM
JoelS
Advanced

Hey thanks guys. Appreciate the tips and hi to Scuba10jdl.
Sorry I don't get on the forum as much as before.
I'm going to look at a 90 fxr Sunday. it does need some minor parts, but would be a little more ummph for the highway. IDK, only other harley I've rode, was a Fatboy, and it was a nice ride. Outta my league though.
If I don't do the trade then I can try the pulley change, or earplug thing.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I suspect you'll find that FXR is like a Sporty on steroids! As for earplugs they cost a few pence and you may be surprised how effective they are. I've been wearing them since the 1970s, when we riders were first alerted to the dangers of the noise we get bombarded with when riding. Unfortunately that was pre-internet and so we can't point to the original research.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-13-2015 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 AM
JoelS
Advanced

Sportster on steroids might be fun. I been all wired up to go see the fxr. I asked the guy to start it up and let me listen on the phone how it sounds, and on the cold start she sounds exactly like some I listened to on Youtube, so it does that kind of smooth start, then it drops some and this one is loud with straight pipes, so I'm pretty sure if it feels good after I ride it then, we'll go ahead and swap bikes. Got a 2 hour ride to go see it, then I'm riding back on it.
So if all goes well, I'll post some pictures this afternoon.
It would be nice to have another set of eyes,and to have put mine on a truck to go up there, and then gone over the bike before riding it back on the highway,but I don't have anybody that I can ask for help to do that.
My one buddy just lost his dad, so he's not up to no road trips, however short. My other buddy's truck is leaking oil all over, so I can't ask him. So
I gonna do what my grandaughter says "...just suck it in , grandpa", so that's what i'm gonna do.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:22 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelS
Sportster on steroids might be fun. I been all wired up to go see the fxr. I asked the guy to start it up and let me listen on the phone how it sounds, and on the cold start she sounds exactly like some I listened to on Youtube, so it does that kind of smooth start, then it drops some and this one is loud with straight pipes, so I'm pretty sure if it feels good after I ride it then, we'll go ahead and swap bikes. Got a 2 hour ride to go see it, then I'm riding back on it.
So if all goes well, I'll post some pictures this afternoon.
It would be nice to have another set of eyes,and to have put mine on a truck to go up there, and then gone over the bike before riding it back on the highway,but I don't have anybody that I can ask for help to do that.
My one buddy just lost his dad, so he's not up to no road trips, however short. My other buddy's truck is leaking oil all over, so I can't ask him. So
I gonna do what my grandaughter says "...just suck it in , grandpa", so that's what i'm gonna do.
Man, good luck on that swap. I was trying to make that same swap just over a year ago, but couldn't find any takers. I did get lucky though and sold my 06 1200L for enough to buy a nice 93 FXRS out of Indiana. Flew out there from CA last April and made the ride back. I've had absolutely no regrets in the exchange. I can see where there are things one would miss about the Sporty when going to a RK, etc. But when replacing the Sporty with an FXR, there's nothing to miss. The FXR offers everything and more.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:06 AM
JoelS
Advanced

I maybe should have stayed home.
Left around 10am, hit rain.
Thought it would clear up.
Hit more rain. Got a dollar general poncho.
20 miles later, poncho was in tatters.
My paperwork , everything I had with me was mostly soaked.
Rain became, torrential-like in nature.
I was already soaked, so I plunged ahead.
Pretty much zero viz, rain near ATL.
Saw bike.
Too many issues to deal with.
Rode home 144 miles in steady rain.
Learned another hard lesson.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:15 AM
JoelS
Advanced

Nice find Rich. Nice bike.
I do like the fxr style, and it did feel pretty comfortable.
Maybe it would have been nice to try it, but riding
a unknown bike in the rain, would not have been a
wise thing to do.
I'll make sure to ask for better pictures next time around.
I guess I imagined a mostly original bike.

Quick Reply: 2005 883C High RPM on Highway Pulley Change